Local summer fruit is just appearing in our markets. Meantime our grocer has an abundance of fruit from all over the world
Grapes from Egypt
Expensive at 6.20 a kilo. They're out of season here
Expensive lemons from Egypt
At least they're not from Turkey
Our own lemons this year haven't done well at all
I bought 2 lemons, pieces, not kilos, as a stop gap
Apples from Italy
The variety is kikou
I don't buy these because
Apples from..
Poland are the cheapest and full of flavour
Variety Jona..... Maybe Jonathan in English
Pineapple from Costa Rica
Not a bad price for a genuine exotic fruit
Pears from Chile
Variety Packham
I didn't get the price but I wouldn't buy them anyway. Next to them was a case of perfectly good Greek pears
The best potatoes are from either Cyprus or Egypt and the price is right
Greek apricots are now in season for 2.50 a kilo
Nectarines are just appearing as are
melons and watermelons
Grapes and figs are in season late July and August
Summer fruit is greek
Tomato prices have come down from 4 euros to 2.50
Zucchini and aubergines are now a reasonable price. Our garden is producing these as well.
I'm cooking stuffed tomatoes and peppers, Briam (Greek ratatouille), Imam (aubergines with tomatoes and onions), fried zucchini and moussaka






Seasonal fruit and veges are no longer a thing here with produce coming from all over the world. I bought yellow kiwifruit recently, they were not nice, I read the label and they were from the US. Much better getting fruit when they are from the tree if possible.
ReplyDeleteI agree. We have so much variety here but in the winter the imports are a lot cheaper. I don't know how. I usually buy imported apples but not much else. We are in the middle of a citrus area and they're cheap and fresh
DeleteYou have plenty of choice and that's always a bonus. It's so lovely to see an attractive display of fresh fruit and vegetables.
ReplyDeleteThere's an abundance of good food and vege here. We are lucky. We do have local potatoes but they just don't look appetising. Maybe kept in storage too long.
DeleteIt is nice to buy local produce. I shun the stuff that has been brought in although it is hard to not buy it sometimes. Rachel
ReplyDeleteIt depends what I want it for. Those Polish apples are good for stewing, for crumbles and cakes. I hated having to buy Egyptian lemons when we live in a citrus area but I needed them for a dish I was making. I've been given a few by a neighbour since then.
DeleteIt all looks lovely and fresh. Do you buy extra when it’s cheap and preserve it for latter use?
ReplyDeleteI can imagine lots of lovely fruity desserts to warm the heart during the long cold nights of winter
I am stewing and freezing apricots at the moment. They're so versatile. Great with yoghurt, in cakes and crumbles, chutney, jam. I use oranges and mandarines in mid winter too for jams and what not. Tomatoes and left over sauces get turned into sauces, or buried in the garden where they come up as new plants. Waste not want not
DeleteLeft over Greek salads are turned into sauces or buried in the Compost
DeleteI had to hustle out and grab my apricots so that I could make apricot jam. It turned out great! Here the season is nearly over. Luckily I remembered just in time, because I didn't get there in time last year.
ReplyDeleteFriday is market day and there are cheap apricots. I forgot but they'll be at the market for a couple of weeks yet. I love Apricot jam
DeleteIf they ate Jonathan apples, its rwmatkable because they don't wirhstand handling, packing, transport well which is a ahame because they are such wonderful applws to eat. New varieties here are Smitten and Ambrosia crisp and fresh but a tad sugary.
ReplyDeleteThe Greek says Tzona. Might not be Jonathan then. They're a good apple but not crisp. Good for baking
DeleteI bought a HUGE cauliflower today for $3.99, which was freakin' amazing! Last time I bought one is was TINY, and about $8!
ReplyDelete