Friday 25 October 2024

Food

 

Classic NZ Fish Pie.  Or as classic as you can make it in a foreign country with substitute ingredients. 

This should be made with fresh smoked NZ kawhai.  I made it with frozen north sea cod.

My daughter who loves anything from downunder has asked me to make this for months.  Or is it years, Elli Mou?  Although I've eaten this pie in years gone by I don't think I've ever cooked it.


It should be smoked fish in a white, or cheese sauce with parsley and boiled eggs topped with mashed spuds.  I used the recipe from Edmonds Cookery book.  This has been, and still is, the bible of NZ cooking.  My copy is falling to pieces. I've used it often over the last 45 years.  It is stained and has copious notes in the margin.  



Pie on a plate

Carnivore Flatbread 

For the last 2 and a half years I've been eating an animal based diet.  Mainly meat and eggs, fish, cheese.  No bread, cake or packaged goodies.  No sugar.  Most of the time. I eat cake and icecream on a birthday or a name day.  If I feel like it.  You get the picture.  I've lost a lot of weight in the past 4 years.   One day I'll tell you all about it and show the photos.

I miss bread for the  sandwiches and its satisfying chewiness.  Now and again carnivore bread recipes turn up on the youtube vlogs I follow.  I've found an easy one which turns out like a wrap and I can wrap it around some ham and cheese and maybe a slice of lettuce or tomato.



Take a pot of cottage cheese, mix in 2 eggs.  Spread it out on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Leave to cool. 

Not bad, but I'm over it now.  

I just found another recipe, grated cabbage and eggs.  Mix and bake.
Or avocado, grated cheese and egg. 
Or how about, if I want a piece of bread then I'll just eat a piece of bread! 
Grated cabbage and egg. Who the hell thinks these things up. Life is too short to grate cabbage.

               Lamington Balls

My dear kiwi family brought  packets of this mix with them.  I've made one lot.  Chocolate balls with coconut in them and cashews.


Just add coconut oil
Maple syrup
and water

Substitute, substitute.
I used olive oil , honey ....not water.  I  used some homemade liqueur instead. 


One packet makes 10 balls.  I ate 3 of these.
Sorry kids.  You didn't get a taste this time but I have another packet, for the holidays.  Or my birthday maybe.  That's closer than xmas.











8 comments:

  1. There are some ingenious ways of making substitutes for our favourite forbidden foods. I am much too lazy to try them though and have just accepted that I'll have to do without now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't think Ill be making anymore 'bread'. It really is all too much fuss.
      I made substitute icecream over the summer. That was really pushing it.....cottage cheese and stevia. Not worth it

      Delete
  2. Fish Pie is my usual go-to when I have to take food to a big event. I use smoked kawahai in white sauce with lemon juice, parsley, roughly chopped hard boiled egg, and topped with mashed potato then decorated with breadcrumbs and sliced tomato. It always seems to be popular (which is why I always take it LOL).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do I wish we could get smoked fish. We do have a smoker somewhere which I brought back from NZ but I think its rusting in a family backyard. We can get smoked tuna in a can but I'm wary of using that in case I spoil the whole dish.
      I'm glad to hear it's still popular!!

      Delete
  3. We (J not me!) often makes meat and potato pies and pasties because we can't buy them over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, yes, I do make pies like that now and again. I just might make a few for my birthday dinner. We all love those pies!!!

      Delete
  4. You mentioning the hard boiled eggs topped with potatoes reminded me of a ‘favourite ’ when ours were young
    Sounds gross now but, a tin of baked beans halved boiled eggs cheese sauce mashed potatoes cheese topping - in the oven until cooked……they loved it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MMmm I would love that. My grandson took one look at that fish pie with boiled eggs and turned up his nose in disgust. I didn't try any because the whole thing was going to my daughter but I will definitely keep a portion for myself next time

      Delete