Saturday 26 June 2021

Greek Pie

Pastitsio.  Another greek classic.


 A sort of Greek lasagne, macaroni pie.  The family love this, well most of them.  

I made a great big dish of it at my youngest grandaughter's request. 


Home delivery

I left one piece for K. It's traditional with lots of nutmeg. Reminds him of his mother's cooking. The rest was delivered to children and grandchildren.

Luscious layers of big thick tube spaghetti, cheese sauce with loads of nutmeg and minced beef stewed in tomatoes with a hint of cinnamon.

For some reason it's considered a summer recipe. You'd think the opposite, heavy spaghetti and thick sauce.

It's also a good first course to fill up guests before the main roast at a baptismal or wedding feast.




13 comments:

  1. There seems to be a big Italian influence on Greek cuisine or is it the other way round? It looks good and very filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greece has loads of dishes with Turkish roots but some of it islands Corfu and Rhodes for a start were occupied by the Venetians and later Italians.

      Delete
  2. I just dribbled all over my keyboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's darned good hot or cold but straight out of the oven, like cannelloni, irresistible.

      Delete
  3. It's known in this house as Marconi Pie. Perfect for big groups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It fills family stomachs and everyone loves it

      Delete
  4. I've never thought of adding cinnamon, I might just try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really like cinnamon in meat dishes, it's an eastern thing. They love it around here

      Delete
  5. Its also a big favourite with my work colleagues who all turn up with napkins and cutlery whenever the officer manager says she is bringing some in to share around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it - it must be the nutmeg which is one of my favourite spices! Your apricot jam sounds gorgeous too! Hope you're not suffering the heat wave I keep hearing about too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat wave is supposed to be breaking today and in two days a new one is moving in.
      Thank goodness for air-conditioning. I wouldn't survive without it

      Delete
  7. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete