Wednesday 5 August 2020

Frappé

I like coffee, hot coffee, but comes the time when temperatures shoot off the top of the thermometer and  every drink I drink has to be as cold as possible.  I don't like ice water but I'll even drink that when July comes to August.

We have various coffee choices here.  Iced nescafe is called frappé, served with milk or sugar or just plain 'sketo'.  Coffee, water and lots of ice.
Then there are the newcomers -
iced capuccino called freddo capuccino
iced espresso called freddo espresso
and the latest is iced greek coffee, called I don't know what.  No one around here drinks it and I wonder what it is like.  Greek coffee is served in a tiny cup and half of it is silt.  Coffee grounds.  Do they drain off the top coffee and add ice?





Here's how you make frappé.  Take a glass and a coffee beater.
I see there are various other methods.  Look on youtube.  'They' use a whisk or a beater or even a spoon to mix the coffee


Put in barely an inch of cold water and your instant coffee and sugar if you want it.  Don't add too much water at this stage or you'll end up with a glass of froth and no room for more water.

I make my coffee with one spoon of nescafe decaf.  K likes two spoons of classic nescafe and a spoon of sugar.

These are TEAspoons I might add

Mix till frothy and you're sure the sugar has dissolved.
Add very cold water and lots of ice.  Pop in a straw and Bob's your uncle.



Here's your classic greek frappe at a classic greek cafe 


What I prefer now is iced filter coffee.
I make my morning pot, turn off the contraption and pour a cup.  That cup/mug goes in the fridge and about an hour later I drink it with a few ice cubes.  The rest I put in a shaker and put the shaker in the fridge so I have iced coffee all day long


Homemade.  My cup of iced filter coffee and K's traditional greek frappe.

And we're all set for the rest of the day.  Though, K does often drink a small cup of greek coffee in the morning.  It is always his beverage of choice.  Traditional people follow the old customs of this land.

15 comments:

  1. In summer and winter I drink what is called here black Turkish coffee. A teaspoon of ground black coffee, boiling water and that's it. twice a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's something new. We used to call greek coffee by the name of Turkish coffee but it doesn't sound like yours at all. I must google

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first tasted Frappe in 2014 while we were visiting my sister (who lives in Cyprus). Loved it - couldn't get enough of it. None I've tried since then, not many I'll grant you, but none have had the same taste. I even bought some Nescafé (not our usual instant coffee) to try making them at home.
    Might have been the water, maybe the company, the environment- whatever, I'll try again this coming summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of those things, like Retsina, that doesn't travel well. You're right, you have to drink it under the Cypriot/Greek sun drinking in the sights, sounds and smells!

      Delete
  4. I am not a coffee drinker but your version looks wonderful. Good to hear traditions are still being kept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried making tea and icing that but it just didn't taste right. I guess it's either coffee or tea or plain water

      Delete
  5. I have started having a few iced coffees this summer because it has been very hot. I make it with instant coffee in a big glass with a handle (like you would get beer in, in a pub or bar). I use boiling water, just a little bit, to stir in with the coffee in the bottom of the glass, then I had handfuls of ice to that, then top it up with some cold milk. Nice to drink in the summer. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good way to make it!! You're very bright I can tell lol
      In the summer it's fine but in the winter I want my hot mug of coffee

      Delete
  6. I am not a fan of instant coffee but I have, in the past on one of our rare hot days, made iced coffee with strong filter coffee.
    In Spain we would have their version, which was a strong espresso poured into a tumbler full of ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often drink freddo espresso at a cafe in the summer which sounds the same as your Spanish version. It's a good morning lift

      Delete
  7. At college we had a Greek friend who used to make her coffee in one of those small pans with a handle. God it was horrible, and was usually grainy too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I drink frappe durning the summer months. Sketo
    Just coffee and iced cold water
    Very refreshing. My cousin got me onto them when we visited about ten years ago
    He unfortunately passed early this year unexpectedly
    So now whenever I make one I will think of him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I taught the word sketo to my niece but at the same time she learned the word skasé. Not too words you should mix up as she did lol
      May you live in health and remember your cousin always with love

      Delete