Thursday 2 May 2024

Red Eggs

 The girls are back again to dye 32 eggs. K hard boiled them last night so they're all ready to go.

But the girls don't get off that easy. Once I've got them in my grasp they're 'forced' to do chores on my list. I always have a list.

They changed our sheets. I'm not allowed to lift mattress corners yet and K has problems with tendons in his shoulders. One down. 

They stored away all the carpets that were cleaned a couple of weeks ago, emptied the dehydrator in our bedroom. We have a lot of damp in our houses. They both have dehydrators which they say they empty way more often than ours. 

Next on the list was moving our very heavy concrete umbrella stand into position to give us shade at the front of the house. Easy peasy for a rower with strong arms. 

And then onto the eggs.  32 is the least we have ever dyed and it's more than enough. I don't know how K agreed to so few. It's usually double that. 

Of the 32 a dozen go off to family and another dozen to friends along with a small container of Easter biscuits. That leaves 8 for us. 3 or 4 will be cracked by us on Saturday night along with the offal soup so K will be left with 4 or 5 to have as a meze with his nightly glass of wine next week. Perfect.


Getting the red mix ready. 
It stains everything and I only had one pair of gloves. They wore one each and declined the use of aprons. Lucky there weren't any splashes


Once the dying is done and the eggs are dry they are polished with a little olive oil


Every year I keep an egg or two and we write the year on it. Most of them have broken but these ones survived. The yolk after a year or so turns into a hard amber ball. 


Then it's lunch time. No one leaves Papou's house without eating. They're not eating meat, for Holy week, so I fried some potatoes, the girls made a salad and I got a pizza margarita out of the freezer. Just the sort of meal kids love. 
Actually the pizza had 5 pieces of salami on top but I soon got rid of those and renamed it.
After lunch they pushed my quad bike across the road so I could start it. It has been sitting rusting away all winter. And it didn't start of course because the battery was flat.
Not a problem . I'm going to retire it. 
Chores all done they were free to leave ...along with red eggs and more Easter cookies. They've been having private lessons since school finished. They're a necessity here if your children want to go on to higher education. 
All lessons are finished till next week. They're free as birds to go swimming, sit in cafes with friends or promenade in groups, eat icecream, or whatever innocent activities I like to imagine them doing. 







17 comments:

  1. I used to make Easter biscuits with my mum. They were the greatest things I made and was allowed to make them on my own. (I just read yesterday's post). Your girls have helped you a lot with getting ready for Easter and I am guessing they have chores to do at home as well. What happens if you are retiring the quad bike, are you getting another one? I seem to remember last year you came close to getting another as it was old then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making biscuits or dyeing eggs are fun. They enjoy it, as you did. I give them the recipe and leave them to it. The other jobs aren't too strenuous and they do them with a groan and a laugh. 'Nanas got a list. Run for it'
    I'll miss them next year. They're mostly going onto higher education, probably in Athens. Only one will be left.
    I'll miss the quad bike too but it's not in good enough condition to ride. We are changing cars and the new, to us, car is smaller. I'll just have to use that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful grandchildren you have - I loved the "groan and laugh" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a lovely family Linda. I can feel the happiness from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as the kids don't have lessons or sports they're happy to come and help out a little. Easier now as they have motorbike licences and can come at any time. They're lovely all of them

      Delete
  5. Want lovely girls to come and help yiayia and papou. Your very blessed indeed. Kali anastasi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we ever need heavy lifting or help in the garden they're happy to oblige. We are very lucky. Their Mums and Dads are all busy working especially now the island is busy

      Delete
  6. You have such a wonderful, close family. It's even better that they do all the things for you 'willingly'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even as teenagers they're always happy and smiling. With us anyway. We are very lucky

      Delete
  7. Well done girls! We turned our mattress yesterday for Summer. Gosh it was heavy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our mattress needs a turn too. I'll put it on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked the last sentence, I also think the same when my granddaughter who is already 14 years old goes to parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's better for your health to imagine them enjoying themselves without alcohol, cigarettes or boys lol

      Delete
  10. Such a great post! You have probably told us in the past, but what do you dye the eggs with? The red is superb, and what did you dye the green one with in 2011?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're something vegetable but we buy them in a packet at this time of the year. I know some people use onion skins which give a slight pink tint and other plants. Unfortunately I prefer the s/market dye. They're mainly red but if you've got small children they like a few green, blue or yellow eggs

      Delete
    2. As one of my granddaughters noted, back in 2011 she was only 5 years old. Multi coloured eggs were probably for her

      Delete