Tuesday 7 May 2024

Easter Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday

Easter Monday.
 St George's Day in Greece.
Happy Name Day all the celebrants in our family
George, Georgia and Djordje



Midnight fireworks over Poros Naval School
The (ex) king of Greece, the old Queen Mum and all the family were at the Naval Base for the midnight service and fireworks on Saturday. They must have stayed inside the church surrounded by their security guards because no one knew till the next day when photos appeared on the Poros News site.

The Big Day
Easter Sunday



Two of the boys
Patriarch and s in law Yiannis with the lamb just off the spit 


Family and friends gathered to feast on the easter lamb and all the trimmings. Held at our daughter's home this year. Not ours thank goodness 


Boy no3, S in law Kyriako, showing his love for the lambs head before daughter Elli devoured the brains and tongue.  No-one wanted the eyeballs.  Yuk was the general opinion. Even K doesn't touch them


I made a loaf of bread with the traditional red egg in the centre.
There were a few salads, traditional greek and lettuce.  Lots of tzatziki of course.  Danae fried potatoes and we all had a red egg to crack with our fellow feasters.
The boys had fried liver, spleen, heart and kidneys very early in the morning to give them strength to look after the spit.  That had completely disappeared by the time I turned up.



And there was icecream and ekmek for dessert.  The ekmek is a syrupy middle eastern sweet made in a baking tray.  Underneath is a layer of  straw-like kataifi pastry soaked in honey syrup, custard and cream on top.
This was made by English neighbour Caroline. 

We need something sweet after a meal of lamb, pork and chicken (kontosouvli ) and offal (kokoretsi).

Because May Day, otherwise known as Labour Day,fell during Holy week, today,Tuesday, is another holiday for the workers.

And that is the end of this year's Easter story.

I think.....


18 comments:

  1. Phew...😍..

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sweet looks delicious. You keep yourselves very busy on Poros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness its not all up to me anymore!!! Lots of helpers

      Delete
  3. Lovely capture of the fireworks. Was in a discussion recently about passing the baton on to the next generation. We have all done our turn over the years, and it is rather nice to let the younger ones take over :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its nice but greek husband hates to think he might have to 'retire'. He wants to be eternally in charge.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Actually it was just a bit too sweet for me but it didn't stop me from leaving my animal based diet maincourse and devouring a plate of it. As well as some icecream. Big smile.

      Delete
  5. I have just purchased kataifi...can you please please get me her recipe so I can make on Friday. Please please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be a bit difficult but I'll see what i can do! I presume you can get that straw like kataifi pastry.

      Delete
  6. Another lovely family occasion. I need the recipe for that dessert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My greek sister in law makes a nice ligth version of this. Still dripping in syrup. I'll ask her as well what she does

      Delete
  7. The Greeks know how to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly a more laid back life up here!

      Delete
  8. I feel 'stuffed' after reading all that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it is good that you eat the whole lamb, not only the "good" parts. If an animal is killed to be eaten, it is a question of respect not to waste the greater part of it. Sadly, the young generation here don´t eat any offal. I can shock them by telling that as a child, I refused to eat liver, so my mother cooked brain for me instead!
    Hilde in Germany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The offal is a prized part of the lamb. While many don't like the brain, the tongue is still a delicacy. Some of our younger family eat all of it. Not all though.

      Delete