Wednesday 12 January 2022

Snow!

 Yes, it snows in Greece and sometimes on Poros.  We are in the middle of storm Diomedes (a hero of the Trojan war) and temperatures are sliding.   


There is a lot of snow further north, the ski centres are all open and they were filled with happy ski-ers over Christmas and New Year, some of our family included.  


Greek mountain ski resort of Kalavrita
 Just 3 hours away from Poros





The happy family just about to invade the slopes




They were all snow boarding this time round


After ski drinks shack.  Heated raki and honey, rakomelo..
for the adults







Then they all dug into 'amazing sandwiches with burgers or pork chops'
Can't forget the food!



She wanted a warm hat.  I knitted one.
Note the ears please!




Happy family after-photo
They had three terrific days in the snow
On the very last day grandaughter broke her wrist.  Naturally on a ski field the orthopedic care was first class.  The wrist was soon bound up and it was time to come home anyway






We looked after the family dogs.  This is Molly with her new BF

21 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun. I LOVE that hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sweet dog and his look in his eyes makes me think twice about my decision not to raise more dogs here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look as though they adore each other. Molly is a big dog, old English sheep dog, but such a gentle soul

      Delete
  3. They do look as though they’re enjoying themselves. Me, I’d be inside keeping the fire stoked!
    Snow is a four lettered word that doesn’t have a place in my vocabulary….like cook - iron - clean 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just noticed the ears on the top of the hat. Was that from a printed pattern or a Linda exclusive one made up as you went along?

      Delete
    2. Heat is my four lettered word 🤣🤣
      I should have mentioned the ear flaps too just too differentiate.
      I found a few patterns for the ears and then just made up my own pattern.
      Had a look on ravelry. I did follow a pattern for the hat. I'll find it in a minute. My wool was thicker so it was slightly too big but didn't matte

      Delete
    3. Search for bunny ears on ravelry and choose your size and style. I made mine double

      Delete
  4. Great to see snow in Greece and to be informed that you even have skiing! Thanks for sharing the photos, lovely scenery of Greek slopes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are 5 or is it 7 ski slopes in Greece, most of them further north. This one is easy to get too for us. Winter sports are actually quite popular with the younger generation, though you need a bit of money too

      Delete
  5. Snow and skiing isn't something that immediately comes to mind when I think of Greece!!! I hope your Granddaughter heals quickly, at least she broke it on the last day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. Greece is blue skies and hot sun. Most of the year.

      Delete
  6. I vaguely remember it snowed in Athens the year we were there. It didn’t last long just a few hours. So it wasn’t that cold. But that’s a fair amount
    The hat is terrific.
    Stay warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1980 or 81 it snowed hard in Athens but I remember about ten years ago there was heavy snow too. Does happen

      Delete
  7. Love the hat with ears! Great for the family to get away to the snow, not so good the broken wrist, hope it heals fast for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the wrist isn't bothering her. It wasn't a bad break.

      Delete
  8. Macron has just re-opened France to the Brits. He needs their money during the skiing season. He'll probably close the borders again when the snow melts, then open again for the summer holiday spending season, etc, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big business . I bet loads of Brits will be charging over to Europe

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear the broken wrist isn’t too painful! Your photos are beautiful, and I was surprised that you would get enough snow for skiing. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete