Thursday 6 January 2022

Another Feast

6th January  Epiphany 


A most important feast day marking the end of the festive period.  It celebrates the baptism of Christ in the Jordan river and  his revelation to the world as the Son of God.


So what does that actually mean?  Here it's usually preceded by a day of fasting and the third carol sung by children going from house to house as at Xmas and New Year.


The 6th of January is a national holiday and normally everyone dresses up in their best and goes down to the harbour to see the three head priests gather to throw a cross into the sea and 'baptise' the waters.  As the cross (attached to a long ribbon so it's not lost on the sea bottom) goes in for the third time a group of hardy kids dive in to retrieve it, the first to grab the cross being especially blessed.


Most then continue drinking ouzo and eating mezedakia (snacks of pork and other meaty tidbits) with big groups of their friends.


Last year there was only a church service, no blessing of the waters.  This year each church can do as they think proper for these times.

We didn't get dressed up and we didn't go down to the harbour for coffee or ouzo or cross throwing.  There are far too many virus cases on the island just now and it's safer to stay at home.


K watched the service on TV that was conducted by the Orthodox Patriarch  in Constantinople (Istanbul to you).  Then two, vaccinated, friends came round and he feasted here instead.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.  Hopefully no ponokefalo (headache) or worrying sniffles.


Day after ponokefaloes are the norm, sniffles are not

20 comments:

  1. I read through the first part of your post too quickly and thought you mentioned a three-headed priest!
    I love the thought of yet more feasting, but not a headache or sniffles afterwards.
    I have the sniffles today, but I think it is just my allergies triggered by all the dust I am disturbing at the moment... hopefully...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sniffle is a bit worrying at the moment. Cross fingers they are just caused by dust and booze .
      A 3 headed priest? Naaa, a dog? Yes.

      Delete
  2. Hope you enjoyed your feast with your two friends LA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K enjoyed it immensely. They grilled fatty mutton chops .
      I ate bread and marmite. I enjoyed it immensely!!

      Delete
  3. The year before covid hubby and I went to frankston to see the blessing of the waters.
    This year I watched a live feed of it from Samos. It the homeland of my fathers family and we still have many relatives there. It was lovely to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A live feed from Samos, that's quite something. Nice that you could see it all. Recognise any rellies?
      Hope you get back one day, soon

      Delete
  4. I hope you keep safe and no sniffles develop. Good to hear you enjoyed your feast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good. No sniffles or headaches 😊

      Delete
  5. You always seem to have one feast or another. Hope you can keep Covid at bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now carnival is rolling up. I would like to say 'enough already' but it ain't possible

      Delete
  6. I’m not sure if it happened in Melbourne- well the day came and went but I didn’t see the cross going in the bay accompanied by loads of strapping young lads on the news so maybe the powers that be nixed it (again).
    You’ll know the sniffle outcome in a day or two- negative findings I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here all we've heard about Australia is Djokovic and Djokovic. And you've incarcerated him in a hotel full of fleas and refugees 😄 Way to go Aussie!

      Delete
  7. I popped out yesterday to do a bit of shopping, and was quite surprised to see a fully-kitted Greek Orthodox priest in the aisles; complete with hat. Probably shopping for Ouzo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He must really stand out in England, and in the supermarket. His wife must have the dreaded lurgy if he has to do the shopping

      Delete
  8. One day, surely, this covid curse will stop upsetting everything we do. But I am glad you got to enjoy your bread and Marmite!
    Stay safe, Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for marmite! It often comes to my rescue

      Delete
  9. After I am no longer working (a common phrase for me these days :-) I will be able to attend services that happen during the day, lol.
    Djokovic deserves to be tossed out ~ he is, in my opinion, manipulating the system for his benefit (the top prize in the Australian Open is nothing to sneeze at). I have never been a fan of his. I think Nadal and Federer are true gentlemen and great sportsmen of tennis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the way Nadal and Federer interact. They're rivals on the court but friends off it

      Delete
  10. I can still smell the ouzo I use to drink in my younger days, I don't know how I did it back then. I'm like you I'm hoping that covid will eventually bugger off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeh,lets hope it buggers off asap .

      Meantime maybe an ouzo or two will keep the germs at bay. My husband recommends it!

      Delete