Sunday 30 August 2020

Flora

 


I have half a dozen squash plants and they have loads of flowers every morning*.  So far only 2 squash have formed and these have grown to the size of a tennis ball and then withered away.  I have squash in pots and squash in the ground, squash in the sun and squash in the shade. They get watered once a day and sometimes twice.  I give them coffee grounds and egg shells and once I even broke an egg near the roots for a bit of extra nourishment.  The next step is a tin of sardines once again buried near the roots.  Youtube 'experts' say it's just what they need.  That's about 5 euros for the sardines and a euro or 2 for the eggs and many euros for water.   I can buy a supply of squash to last all winter for that money.  But I did like my squash.


They would grow over the wall into the english neighbour's driveway and I'd have to send my tall grandson to collect them at the end of summer.


These little devils are red hot and come up on their own every year amongst the mint.  There are at least 5 plants there now and they are thriving.  






Elderly neighbour Vaso has a line of pistachio trees and they are full of large bunches of 'nuts' just now.  Unfortunately the nuts are empty.  Because she has only male trees the fruit does not mature as it should.  No pistachio harvest alas.  She has had those trees for many years.  I can never understand why she hasn't planted a few of the other kind .  They thrive here.  The next door island of Aegina is famous (in greece) for their nut harvests



This is purslane or glistritha as it is called here.
Glistritha is the word for something which slips and slides.  This keeps low to the ground and slides along the surface.  K says his mother used to eat it as a salad.  I've never seen it on anyone's table here but I'm going to nurture this and use it with lettuce and nasturtiums in winter salads.  It dries out completely in the summer but this one is just starting to grow near the lemon trees which are watered quite often.

Wikipedia  says  it has a mucilaginous quality.  That does not sound very palatable.  Can be made into
 a tzatziki type dip with yoghurt.   Similar to spinach.  Suitable for soups and stews.  I think I'll experiment a little before serving it up to traditiontal people even if they do say their mother ate it


I cleaned up my pot of thyme yesterday.  There were a lot of dry bits to trim.  Inside the pot I found 16 snails and in the next door pot (not shown) there were 27.  I gathered them all up and threw them over the fence under Vaso's carob tree.  They can feed there to their little hearts' content without eating someone else's dinner.  They had better not come crawling back.

Those are just a fraction of the snails in the garden.  I've been getting rid of them for months but they seem to multiply overnight.  I'm going to have to bring in the cavalry.  I'll get the grandchildren and pay them to exterminate.  Well, to pick them up at least.

* Vaso's daughter-in-law gathers the flowers and fries them.
She made keftethes (rissoles) out of them the other day.

You chop up 3 or 4 tomatoes and drain off the excess juice. 
 Chop up the pumpkin/zucchini flowers too.  
Add around 200 grams of flour.  Enough so they are not runny. 
1 tsp baking powder
 1 egg to bind the mix
Add lots of chopped mint and whatever herbs you have on hand.
Parsley, dill, basil.  
A good handful of feta  or other cheese

Mix and put in the fridge to 'soldify' a little
Drop spoonfuls into hot oil



19 comments:

  1. You can make it into spanikopita instead of spinach. purslane is nice in curry, made with a tomato sauce not a cream one. Purslane also goes well with lamb. It is full of antioxidants so is mega good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from someone who has eaten this. I shall persevere with purslane. Thanks Sol

      Delete
  2. Your squash should be flourishing with all the care you are giving them, do you need boy and girl plants to get the fruit happily? You can see I am not a squash grower 😁😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you're right! I'm no gardener!
      Someone will tell us

      Delete
  3. I like my purslane in tuna sandwiches...mix canned tuna with mayonnaise. Actually, the first time I ever saw Purslane sold as a vegetable was at the market on Corfu, over a decade ago. Now we can buy it here at markets in Hawaii. I am cheap though so I dig up a few wild growing weeds of it and grow it in pots in my kitchen garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well well well (3 holes one ground), another who knows about and eats purslane. Now I really will have to try it. With tuna and mayo you say. That's more my style..I'd never seen it till we moved up in the hills 12 years ago

      Delete
    2. Darn, my joke got mangled by word whatsitsname.
      Well well well, 3 holes in the ground

      Delete
  4. Handsome Grandson and nice looking squash too! Although I admit to admiring your Grandson a bit more than the squash :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He looks even better now he's got a decent hair cut lol

      Delete
  5. Your thyme looks healthy - I pulled a pot out from under some other plants the other day and gave it a trim. Love thyme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love thyme too, much more the traditional, here, oregano. It gets used often

      Delete
  6. You could try singing to your squash - you never know what might happen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did give it a verse of something this morning. I think it visibly cringed lol Might need an extra dose of sardines to get over it

      Delete
  7. We have just harvested and eaten our first Butternut Squash. It was delicious, but only the size of a Tennis ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should have just eaten those two. I'll keep an eye on any new ones that form. But I want big yellow squash!!

      Delete
  8. Two summers now our squash here have been like that - 95% male flowers, and the one or two female flowers that eventually formed fruit did that shrivel up thing. I assumed I was growing a bad choice of variety.
    Purslane - used to grow it in the allotment in Blighty. Makes nice salad (leaves stripped off the coarser stalks) slightly lemony. Maybe the muci(big word) texture is only after its cooked. It couldn't be worse than okra could it? It grow wild in the gardens here but I'm reluctant to use it (cats and all that) so buy it in the laiki.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm surprised to hear you can find purslane at the laiki. Good going greek growers.
    I do eat okra but only because k loves it and I can't escape the stuff now and again. It might be green but it ain't good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps how do you know if the flowers are male or female?? Google I suppose

      Delete
  10. I've never actually tried the flowers but squash is one of my favourite veges, apart from putting them in soup or roasts I also make cakes out of them with cream cheese icing, so yummy

    ReplyDelete