Tuesday 9 July 2019

Ladies Fingers

         Bamyes in Greek,
         Okra
         Ladies Fingers

Those green slimy things that look like green beans, called bamyes in greek.  When fresh we trim the ends, spread them out in an oven tray, sprinkle them with vinegar and leave them in the hot sun sun for a few hours.

I can remember buying and preparing fresh okra when I first arrived here many years ago. Nowadays I always buy the frozen vegetable. I'm not sure if that is because I'm lazier or they are not as generally available. They are certainly not on the market stalls at the moment.

I don't like these very much but I eat them because certain traditional people in my household love them.  I either cook them simply with tomatoes and olive oil or with chicken pieces.

Okra with chicken pieces is the traditional people's favourite and it is not difficult to make so okra and chicken was on the menu last week.




Once the chicken is cooked in its tomato sauce I add the frozen okra (or fresh) and let them cook for about 15 minutes till they are soft but not disintergrating



Chicken and okra greek style

Fry onions, garlic and chicken pieces in olive oil till browned.  Add  fresh or chopped tomatoes, a glass of water, a glug of red wine, salt and cook about half an hour.  Add chopped parsley and the okra.  Gently give it all a stir and let them stew gently for about 20 minutes.  

Serve with feta cheese, bread and wine.  When we cook vegetables with meat we don't have a salad on the table.  In this case the okra is enough.

If you don't like the slime then try the recipe with fresh green beans instead

Kali Orexi

  

21 comments:

  1. I have never tried okra, it's not commonly available here, but your description of sliminess has put me off it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't waste your message bet or your time. loads of other healthy green things to eat, and enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I have had lamb and okra in Turkey but not chicken. I can never cook them with out the slime. I was told once that you should never but the stalk side off and then no slime. I dont know if that works really

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drying them in the sun and sprinkling them with vinegar is supposed to reduce the slime. It doesn't.
      Some people love them. I tolerate them along with offal and snails

      Delete
    2. I dont mind snails, very nice in paella. but offal has a metallic taste to me that I cant get over it is like when you bite your own tongue or you have blood in your mouth. I cant stand it.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. You don't grow them in your garden lol? I didn't know what they were till I arrived here

      Delete
  4. I love okra but I’m the only one who eats it.
    So I occasionally make some up and eat it all myself and then I don’t crave it for another couple of years lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people do love them. My daughter loves them too, one daughter.
      Everyone to their own!

      Delete
  5. I must say, I have never really seen the point of Okra. I prefer to leave it on it's plant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okra is common in Asia. I like it best in a Malay or Singapore curry. Just slice into 1cm pieces and simmer in the curry sauce. Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of it on cooking from the south of the US but not Asian.
      I'll have a bag of them waiting in the freezer for you to cook!

      Delete
  7. It's not a popular vegetable here. I always thought it was more a southern U.S. thing, used to thicken soups etc. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought southern US too and gumbo came to mind. Having googled gumbo I see okra is only a small part. I'll try a few fried, for me, as Raquel suggests

      Delete
  8. For okra to not be slimy, cook them like we do here in the southern US. Slice 1 pound fresh okra into coins into a bowl. Add in an egg and 1/4 cup milk. mix well, so it all gets coated. In a paper bag, mix 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup cornmeal and season it well. Toss okra in batches and fry in oil till crispy. I fry it in batches, as you want to stir it around a bit when frying. Salt to taste when done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raquel you've done it again. The cobbler was really nice. Just about to make another one!
      I would Love to try the okra like this. Don't know if other half will eat them.like that. I've done green fried tomatoes a couple of times but am not a fan. I'll try the okra and let you know

      Delete
  9. I have only ate okra in Indian restaurant. They also call them ladies fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems they are more wide spread than I knew.

      Delete
  10. Okra just never appealed to me.....

    But I'm sure there are many, who really enjoy it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems okra has its fans but I could live without it!

      Delete