Friday 5 July 2019

Market time Again

Friday and fruit and vegetable day again.  I went down with my big cloth bag and bought a small watermelon, a melon, some aubergines (eggplant), tomatoes and peaches.  That was about as much as I could carry.

The cousin I mentioned in my last market post had 3 kilos of tomatoes left, a pile of greens and a box of peaches.  I bought all the tomatoes, you can never have enough of them in the summer, and the peaches looked juicy so I bought 2 kilos of them.  

The peaches were a big mistake.  They are soapy and tasteless.  A waste of 3 euros.  What to do with them?  I don't want peach jam and the peach chutney I made a few years ago wasn't very nice either.  I googled 'mealy' peaches. Peach wine sounded like a good idea but I need some equipment and wine yeast which I have never heard of.  So there will be no peach wine.  

Cobbler was next on the list and it seems simple and the sort of thing we might eat, with some greek yoghurt maybe.  I am washing and chopping and stewing peaches before they all rot and end up in the compost.  Some will be made into cobbler tomorrow.

I have heard of cobbler but never made it, or so I thought.  The first recipe I found, and will use, makes an easy sponge with the stewed fruit on top.  I've made this many times with left over fruit, usually soft apples.

We shall see.



The cousin was very disappointed not to see my husband with me today.  He found another victim to go off and buy him his beer, at 9am, telling him to hide the beer well so the 'devil' didn't see it!

Handing over the contraband 



20 comments:

  1. Oh dear. Well stewed fruit always goes down well with most things. I use mine in various ways; with custard to make a fruit fool, or with thick greek yogurt, or in a trifle, helped along with a dash of alcohol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm the alcohol is a good idea. I have some greek brandy which will be perfect

      Delete
  2. Peach cobbler is very good. (American measurements) 1 cup sugar, 1 cup self-rising flour, 1 cup milk, 1 stick (1/4 lb) butter. Preheat oven to 350 F, melt butter in 13 x 9 pan. Mix sugar, flour, milk in bowl, pour into melted butter. Into center of mix pour your stewed peaches. Bake at 350 about 30 minutes, or until golden. Serve with Greek yogurt or ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the perfect recipe! Easy and simple ingredients. Thanks Raquel

      Delete
    2. Ps and greek yoghurt is always on hand!

      Delete
  3. When do you bake? When do you use your oven, period, in heat? Or are you simply used to summer heat, and carry on, regardless? :-)

    Cobblers are delicious. And Crisps, which are similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bake, we roast. We are used to roasting in this summer heat lol
      Stuffed tomatoes, briam, bread, you name it. Life goes on whatever the weather.

      Delete
  4. I'm off to our local (v small) market this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Australia I find most stone fruit, peaches especially (and Red Delicious apples - the BEST) are best in the first 4 to 5 weeks of the season. After that they go floury. Stewing them with other fruit to add flavour and improve texture sometimes works. Added to that is the fruit caners usually grab the best fruit available on the market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are some of the first peaches of the season. BUT I was suspicious when I saw Is had them on his stall. Should have heeded my inner warning. He probably got them cheap from someone who had them in cold storage since last year. Wouldn't put anything past him. Anything to make enough for another beer.
      Fortunately his wife works on the fish farm and pays the bills.

      Delete
  6. I also want to thank Rachel, her recipe looks wonderful.I shall try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You may have hit the nail on the head with your "cold storage" idea. Peaches that have been stored cold will never be as good as fresh peaches that have been at room temperature. I've noticed grocery stores do that here in the past couple of years and I'm hard pressed to find good, juicy peaches. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he got a cheap 'lot' from a 'friend'. He's never sold peaches before. Peaches really haven't hit the stores yet.
      A fresh peaches are so full of colour and taste. I hope we,and you, find some decent ones soon. I'll buy 2 , try them out and if they're any good Then I'll go back and buy more..

      Next time

      Delete
  8. So sorry to hear about the peaches! There's almost* nothing worse than mealy peaches. I've bought a few good peaches at the grocery last week, but I'm eagerly anticipating Palisade peaches from Colorado. Last year I ordered 3 boxes last year and after a few days of eating, we froze the rest, because they are perfectly ripe when delivered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the next peaches and nectarines are this year's crop and ripe and juicy. Waste of money otherwise. I now have a large bowl of stewed peaches which are really nice but I wanted fresh!

      Delete
  9. Sounds a good market full of local produce. You can't beat fresh and homegrown fruit and veg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know how organic it is. Bet those use loads of spray to get a good sellable crop

      Delete
  10. I'm not really a cobbler fan but my mum when I was growing up use to stew apples and other fruit for us to put on our cereal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was always the way we ate stewed fruit too! On our Weetabix! Miss those weetbix

      Delete