Thursday 11 July 2019

The Weather

The heat wave has broken, thank goodness. 3 days of very high temps, sweaty nights, what France and Italy had last week.

I had to go down into the town today.  I thought it would be fine on the quad bike with the cool air blowing in my face.  It was fine at 11am, didn't even break a sweat under my helmet.  Ye gods and little fishes, 2 hours later it was a completely different story.   
The road was like a fire breathing dragon sending waves of searing heat up my legs and burning my arms, hot air sizzling the eyebrows.   I kept on waiting for the tar to melt or the tyres to explode.

I made a quick dash inside to turn on the aircon, and then close doors and windows.  You'd think I would be used to scorching heat by now.  But, no.  It affects me phsically now and I really do turn into a zombie.  

By 5pm we'd had enough being stuck in one cool room, one room at a time so we save on the electricity.  Time to literally take the plunge.  Togs on (bathers, swimwear, whatever you call them in your lingo) and down to the sea.   Our first swim of the summer.



Cool, clear waters, a few familiar faces and only the happy sounds of cooling humans



Except for this git on his quad bike who decided it might be fun, for him, to do endless wheelies up and down the beach.  Finally someone in the water yelled at him and he came to a dust swirling standstill.



We always swim down at one end of the beach, away from the foreigners

The overhanging tree gives shade and there is a bench and a low wall to lay your towel.  As you enter the water there are sharp stones and spiny sea urchins.  NOT this year!  The north wind did a terrific job all winter blowing in tons of sand which has completely covered rocks and urchins.  Oh what a delight to wade straight into the water without having to do that dance to protect the tootsies.  The sand is soft, the water shallow and warm, so easy to go straight into the sea.  

I swim out to the other side of the bay through a cold stream which must come off the hills. Glorious.  Across the bay a colony of seagulls have settled in and a young goat bleats for his mother somewhere up the on a rocky crag.  I miss the coffee and the chairs of the canteen, closed by the archealogical authorities, but it is still a delightful place for a summer dip.

By the time we left the weather had started its change.  Black clouds over towards Athens, a drop in temperature and thunder rumbling round us.  It didn't rain here but somewhere close by had a doozy of a summer storm.  

We woke next morning to find that 7 people, tourists, had been killed after a mega-storm hit a holiday area in Northern Greece.
Today there is cool air blowing through the house and a ton of dust with it.  Climate change!

I can hear the seagulls squawking as they fly on the air currents.  Sounds as though they're having fun.








16 comments:

  1. I have missed your going swimming this year! And that's why. This was the first!

    Air/con... Sounds like you can turn it on/off, in each room. Probably same, with heat. Excellent.

    Our A/C is wall unit, in den. Which den, can be shut off, by doors. And our now bedroom, is right next to den. Which also, can be shut off by doors. So the den A/C cools den/bedroom.

    Other wall A/C unit, is in hearth room. Which cools hearth room (tv and our "living" area) and kitchen. So basically 2 wall units, do downstairs. And we only use them, as needed. As REALLY needed. :-)

    I can imagine how hot that ride back home, must have been!!!!! You describe it perfectly!

    And hate's-to-tell-you but, heat is going to bother you, increasingly, with age. At least, that's me. The Greek natives around you, may be born, acclimated to it. But you are not a native.

    But! Prove me wrong!!!!! :-)

    Ohhh and.... "canteen, closed by the archealogical authorities" Must be that island, you said, which had antiquities found on it.

    But!!!! How can anyone build anything, anywhere, in Greece????? There must be antiquities _everywhere_!!!!! ,-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use our aircon the same way, and only when we Really need it too. It does heat in the winter but we are usually ok with our wood stove.
      Oh yes, I am just finding out about heat and aging! Im off to Athens soon for tests. My blood pressure gets really low and my arythimia gets worse in the heat. Greeks don't complain too much about the heat. They just say 'well its summer ' and get on with it. My sis-in-law climbs up and down hills in the heat just to go for a swim and has no problems.
      The darn archealogical people are a nuisance. Of course there are antiquities everywhere you step and the rules are ridiculous. In our area you can build o the right hand side of the road but not the left. Absolutely stupid. Peoples houses have been pulled down and so was this canteen because it was on the wrong side of the beach. It used to be our hang out. Wonderful in the evenings right beside the sea with a cold drink. Lots of things need changing here but will they ever be? Even the Mayor is below the archeologists

      Delete
  2. I love your account of your swim. Sounds pretty good. Although I most certainly wouldn't be able to cope with that heat. We have just been reading the news item about that horrendous storm. Shocking stuff. Surely everyone now has to accept that climate change is real?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very wet spring, a very late summer, cool temperatures in July, hail storms and twisters, very unusual. Overnight the temperature here fell from around 38o to 28o. It probably has happened before, we're always being told that we haven't seen conditions like this for the last 40,60, 100 years. I do wonder sometimes whether it is not just the cycle coming round again but the extremes are getting more frequent all over the world.

      Delete
  3. Your swim in a cooling bay, sounds like the perfect antidote to oppressive heat and humidity !
    I prefer the cooler air of Autumn, but will trudge through for a few months, it really seems to zap the energy right out of a person....
    Your description of the car ride reminds me of my first summer in the South....before any cooling in the car.
    Here's to less heat, and more swims !
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen!
      It is much cooler now, I'm actually enjoying doing some cleaning!

      Delete
  4. My two memories of swimming in Greece are seeing beautiful Seahorses everywhere, and Ray fish eyes half buried in the sand beneath us. What a shame they did away with your little Taverna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandkids used to find sea horses and star fish, but definitely not as many as you describe. Amazing creatures. Never seen a eat like that. Alas these creatures are disappearing from our part of the med. Used to find sea cucumbers and sponges too. Very rare now

      Delete
  5. Will you be supporting the Kiwis against England on Sunday? Channel 4 and Sky are showing it for free. Does anybody play cricket where you live LA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave. Cricket is played only in Corfu, introduced by you Brits. Rest of em have no idea!
      I saw cricket is being shown on one of the satellite channels. I'll have a look, thanks!
      Of course I'll be supporting the kiwis and so will the rest are f the family, or else. I have 2 cricket bats but never played with the grandchildren. One bat I found in a school bin in NZ. My dad fixed it and it came back in our suitcase .great souvenir

      Delete
  6. In a comment on my blog, you asked if we hibernate... With all the tourists in town now? Well, we should do errands early in the day. Like library runs.

    And we do know "the back streets," to avoid where tourists go. And streets parallel to the streets they use. :-)

    But don't try to go out to eat, in local restaurants! It's their big season, and you can't linger, at this time of year. lol

    But it's always been this way. After all these years, we grow used to it.

    And actually, the worst part is, having to constantly be on watch, for those who do not know where they are going!!!!!! And be gentle with them. We have been the same, years ago, when we went places. ,-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly the same story here!!!
      What used to annoy me most were cars on the back road slowing down to admire the view when I was hurrying to get home. I just slow down too now but keep my eyes on the road!
      Restaurants here seem to have doubled their prices for the season and we get annoyed they don't give us a discount because we are here all during the year. We've all been burned and our list of go-to tavernas is down to only 3. The rest charge too much and the food is hurredly cooked and badly served.
      This too shall pass lol

      Delete
  7. And again I think to myself, I wish there was a sea here.

    ReplyDelete