Wednesday 22 May 2019

Olive Oil Cake

A cake I baked during Lent.  No eggs, no butter.  Does that mean that it's vegan?

Choc-Orange Olive Oil Cake

3/4 cup olive oil (you could use any vegetable oil)
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 cups orange juice
zest from one orange
3 soup spoons vinegar - I used home made wine vinegar.  Any sort will do
6 soup spoons cocoa
3 1/2 cups self raising flour  (400 grams)
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
vanilla

Put everything into a bowl, flour last of all, and beat well.

Tip the mixture into a greased cake tin.  I used the one with the hole in the middle.

Bake in a pre-heated oven at 175oC for 40-45 minutes

Greek cakes don't usually have icing on the top.  My family dislikes the stuff.  Now and again I might add a syrup when it comes out of the oven, like lemon drizzle cake, but this cake is quite heavy and I wouldn't try it myself.

Sieve some icing sugar over the top and add some orange zest or maybe some orange slices to make it pretty, if you're that way inclined.

I forgot to take a photo.  You'll have to imagine a round chocolate  cake because I won't be making this again till Lent next year.

I'm only just starting to think about  making cakes again since Easter.  We had so many trays of sticky cakes, galaktobouriko (semalina and milk covered in filo pastry and dripping honey syrup!), baclava, easter cookies, tarts and hot cross buns, not to mention packets of pineapple lumps, cream filled eggs, real ginger nuts, cadbury eggs, greek chocolate eggs, you get the idea.



17 comments:

  1. I have had to give up most sweet things on my low cholesterol diet but I think I could manage a slice of two of this 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a heavt cake. You would only need a small slice. Use a lighter sort of oil and use some cinnamon or ginger as well. Most eggless olive oil cakes are a bit crumbly. This is not

      Delete
  2. Awwwww, you didn't take a pic!!!!!! -grin-

    And I see how you must be tired of baking, now!

    But bet all those goodies tasted really wonderful, after not having them, for some time!!!!

    The 'Old Ways' of do-without, and then feast, had a lot of psychology, behind them.

    ✨✨✨✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ddint really miss anything. So many otehr things to eat but I have now made an apple cake and that is darn good with a coffee!!1

      Delete
  3. Here we never use olive oil and vinegar for baking, sounds interesting and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The vinegar is used instead of eggs. Does the same job. Some people dont like a cake with olive oil but I cant taste it

      Delete
    2. I wondered where are the eggs...

      Delete
  4. I found your this post while searching for some related information on blog search...Its a good post..keep posting and update the information. Energy Dais presents the most comprehensive list of the Top Oilfield Drill Bit Companies in India, Middle East, USA & Canada. Choose from a list of 90+ handpicked Drill Bit suppliers and manufacturing companies. oilfield drill bit companies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Olive Oil plus Vinegar sounds a very interesting combination!

    When you say cocoa - do you mean like Bourneville cocoa powder, dark and strong and certainly not sweet. Or something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cocoa, yes, just like good ole bournville cocoa! Dark and strong.

      I dont often have butter or marg in the house so often use olive oil instead. Vinegar just replaces the eggs. Often replace them as well if I dont have enough eggs in the house!!1 You learn to use what youve got here and thank goodness for google so you can search for a substitute

      Delete
  6. The cake sounds delicious - I am sure it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just what we all needed back then. Something a little sweet but not so nice you wanted to eat it all at once!

      Delete
  7. Sounds intriguing. I wonder if I can change the sugar to stevia and the flour to gluten free. I might have to try it
    It I do I’ll post xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im sure you could change the ingredients around. Stevia for sure would be fine , though I hope you know how much you would need to use. I do have stevia but only for coffee.
      Fanouropitta with dark choc drops? Similar probably but more crumbly.

      Delete
  8. Dang my mouth is watering!!! Sounds so yum... I'd add icing of course. Kiwis do that. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made these sorts of cakes before, apparently the vinegar replaces eggs and the oil replaces butter but still has the same end result plus they are moister.

    ReplyDelete