Wednesday 8 May 2019

After Easter

May 1st is a holiday for most.  Trains, buses and shipping comes to a halt as workers go on strike and gather in central Athens to demonstrate for more wages, better working conditions and a little affluence after so much  austerity.

Families go on picnics, make May Day wreaths from the abundance of wild flowers, fly kites and have fun.  Day trippers came to Poros in hordes to enjoy the sunshiny day.




My traditional May Day wreath.  It's a long time since I've made one of these and forgot how hard they are to actually get them into the wreath shape.  You need a piece of wire to make a circle or an olive branch secured with a piece of wire.  I tried the branch from a lemon tree.  I almost got the shape but anyway the lemon leaves made a nice green background and I tied flowers onto it with bits of string.  Sort of thing Pooh and Piglet would have been proud of.

My celebration of Spring





Somewhere further down the waterfront they were giving away roses.  


Across from our harbourfront cafe an enterprising local taverna had spits of pork and lamb out on the roadside.  The smell was delectable but 'more meat?'.  No way



29th April, the celebration of our local Monastery.
Crowds gathered
Priests chanted
Sticky cakes and coffee were consumed





19 comments:

  1. Love the wreath I can smell the BBQ from here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wreath was not conventional but I liked it too. Colourful and all from the garden

      Delete
  2. Love your wreath.
    I’m in the process of deciding what to make for my winter wreath. Since we don’t get snow here in trying to figure out what says winter. I’ll get there and post pics when I’m done
    Never too much bbq meat I say lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +




      Love to see your wreath. Ours is usually a family job and my daughters have far more patience and artistic style.


      Delete
  3. Every May first, they strike?

    I surmise that now, is quite perfect weather. Spring and blossoms flowering and etc. Not hotttttt yet.....

    I wondered if you were tired of meat, yet!

    Enjoy the weather!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May 1st is like Labour Day elsewhere, a workers holiday but also a chance to parade for better working conditions and pay.
      They strike so they can all join the parade, well thats the idea.

      Delete
  4. I like the wreath and the thought of that barbecue meat. Yet more celebrations - Greece seems to be the place to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More celebrations coming up and summer will be full of em. No rest!

      Delete
  5. It all makes my May 1st celebrations seem very dull. In Athens they demonstrate, in Paris they smash windows, and here we just spent a quiet day! Next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have liked a picnic on the balcony , but coffee on the waterfront in the sunshine wasn't too bad. Lots of people watching

      Delete
  6. The Spring wreath is great and brings colour and hope for a fabulous summer. Well done LA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly full of colour which was why I thought it would be ok to hang out the front of the house. Spring is fickle. Cold again today

      Delete
  7. I could eat BBQ meat everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BBQ meat is nice because other people bbq it here!

      Delete
  8. I love BBQ meat. Perhaps I could pop over and eat all the leftovers for you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wreath is lovely! As for meat, yesterday we were consuming the last of our veggie spring rolls and Romeo grumbled that he misses meat. But I have discovered (after the fast) that I can do without it the majority of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not crazy about meat. Usually we have a good variety of vege meals and meat. When its endless one or the other I'm not so enthralled though I think I could become a vegetarian, with eggs and cheese.... and a meatball or sausage now and again lol

      Delete
  10. For years we have not been celebrating May Day here, Years ago we would go out and walk the streets waving red flags.

    ReplyDelete