Wednesday 24 July 2024

Join the Navy

The Poros Navy Beach Canteen, run by the Navy Training School,  opened for the summer season at the end of June, once all the conscripts had left.  The next batch won't be back till September when it might possibly be a little cooler.

We have been down there a few times with family and friends.  It's our summer hang-out and we eat and drink at the Canteen a couple of times a week.  It's subsidised of course and a fraction of the price of the island's tavernas.  

K always finds an old Navy cohort with whom to reminisce, though 'some recollections may vary'. 

Anyone visiting in July or August, is taken there in the evening. This canteen beside the sea provides a simple and tasty meal.  Greek salad, various meats on a skewer, tzatziki, pita bread,  pizza and cheese pies along with beer, wine or soft drinks.

It's open all day, serves coffee and sandwiches,  and has an organised beach with umbrellas and loungers and a lifeguard.  

Identities are checked.  I'm usually OK. The officers there know me either because they're locals or because K quickly becomes well known and 'I'm with him'.  However I'm very obviously a foreigner and I have been asked on a couple of occasions, in English, 'what am I doing there'.  Politely.  'I'm with him!!' 


Looking out at the empty beach in the evening


The presentation has gone up a notch this year.
We have little wire baskets for the fried potatoes and wooden trays for the souvlaki.  
We are though, still given paper plates and unless we ask for proper glasses we will be given paper ones.  And we still clean up our table at the end, bundle up the leftover salad and tzatziki, paper dishes and empty cans in the paper table cloth and throw it all in a big bin.
We won't be complaining.  The two of us can eat and drink for 10 euros.



Each table also has a 'night light' for romantic dining.




20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Good for an evenings entertainment now and again. Cheap and cheerful.

      Delete
  2. I remember you writing about this Navy canteen before. It sounds like a great place to eat especially if there is plenty of good company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I write about it every year. It's a big part of our summer. We can no longer afford to go out and eat at a taverna on a Saturday night,, or any other night unless it's a special occasion. And it's essential for Ks mental health. He has to be among people and talk

      Delete
  3. I would love to have something like that nearby. 10 euros would just about buy one bowl of soup here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very lucky and quite frankly I reckon the greek navy owes us. K went through hard times. In the beginning he had to buy his own uniform and pay for his food when at sea

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a great place. I like the "I'm with him" reply :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps to have a native around when you're a foreigner lol

      Delete
  5. One of the benefits of being ‘ex service’ and living locally.
    Has security always been tight or is it becoming more noticeable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no security really. Everyone knows everyone else the majority of the time. I just stick out if I'm by myself

      Delete
  6. Wow. Your definitely still a foreigner after all these years. Maybe get a tshirt printed saying I’m with him in Greek.
    Sounds like a lovely and economical way to spend an evening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still a foreigner lol. Sometimes if we are off the island having a coffee the waiter will see me and ask for our order in English, They always get a surprise when K answers in Greek.
      I guess it's the way I dress, my hair cut and the colour, and the way I walk. I don't know. I stick out, that I do know

      Delete
  7. That all sounds wonderful, but I wouldn't want the paper cup or plate. I suppose it all saves on the dreaded 'washing up'. I like that you're still a foreigner; I feel like that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a foreigner. If they don't realise that immediately they are soon aware as soon as I open my mouth and utter just a yes or a no.
      There's something about us which sets us apart from the natives

      Delete
  8. Ten Euros is very good value for money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Down in the cafes you could barely get 2 coffees for 10 euros.
      It's fantastic for us. I try not to get bored. That's when I smoke, to pass the time

      Delete
  9. Local alien then? Perhaps that t-shirt Angela mentioned should have 'local alien' (also in Greek) on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Local-Alien! I like that. Watch this space

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful place to go. Food and sea, who needs more than that.

    ReplyDelete