Saturday 9 July 2022

Mediterranean Lunch

 Fresh and healthy with an overload of olive oil.

It doesn't bear thinking about the calories. So I don't. I'll be going swimming this afternoon. A little exercise will balance em out. Weather permitting. The north wind blows rubbish straight on to our local beach.  I don't like swimming amongst bits of plastic and I don't like being slapped in the face by a sudden surge of seawater.



Aubergines, bought at the market on Friday morning.  Fried and topped with a tomato sauce, made by me, with a fresh tomato, garlic and parsley.  I still amaze myself at the amount of olive oil I use to fry these things.  Aubergines really do soak up oil like a sponge but that's the way m-in-law and her mother did it so that's what I do.  

If I was cooking the aubergine for some dish in the oven, like moussaka,  I would bake them with a lick of oil but to fry them to a nice crispy-ness you do need plenty of oil.


Fish fresh from the boat, also fried in oil.  Delicious.  


Greens and big watery zucchini, called pitsouni, boiled and served with oil and garlic and vinegar.  Most greens are doused in lemon juice but this particular variety needs vinegar apparently.  Called vlita in Greek.  

Here I can avoid the oil.  Everyone adds their own according to taste.

K drank a glass of local wine and I had a few slugs of water. I haven't had any alcohol for over a month. 

We didn't go swimming.  There was a very sudden and unexpected shower of rain.  By the time I had rushed out to bring in the washing and roll up the car windows it was almost over.  If I was a child I would have been charging down to the beach to swim in the rain.  Not any longer. Been there, done that.  

I loaded all our rubbish onto the quad boat and took it to the big bins at the top of the road instead.



12 comments:

  1. I too am sometimes overwhelmed by the amount of olive oil I consume for cooking. Probably that's how it is Mediterranean cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have good oil and we use it generoulsy! My mother in law always used to say that her oil was the best and we should eat lots of it. She used a lot more than I do.
      The mediterranean diet!

      Delete
  2. Good on you for having a alcohol drink free month. I drink too much especially when it's hot like now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink probably more than I should of red wine in the winter but in the summer it just slows me down. I have a cold alcohol free beer now and again. The ones they make now aren't too bad at all

      Delete
  3. The food looks yummy. Don’t worry about the olive oil. It’s good fats and seriously how good does it taste yummmm
    I would still swim in the rain. Love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't avoid olive oil here. But I no longer dip my bread in it or add the huge amounts the older generations did. They survived on olive oil and greens. My m in laws dishes swam in it

      Delete
  4. I'm not growing any Veg' this year, so those delicious Aubergines are off the menu for the moment. We mostly ate them tepid, having been friend in lots of Olive oil; without Tomato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The market now has big fat shiny aubergines crying out to be bought and cooked. I'm going to make several dishes with them

      Delete
  5. Swimming in the rain used to be so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once upon a time. It might still be but I'm not rushing to find out

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a question, in nafplio, we had something like a potato pie, but it was in bread. Do you possibly know the name of it? we were there during Lent if that is any help. Dinner looks lush I wish I was there. We have flying ants here at present and the earth is baked solid and is the colour of an unglazed pure white plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sol. The only thing I can think of is piroski with potato. It's more of a bread dough than pastry. There's usually dill in with it too
      You're having a much hotter summer than us this year. Unusual temps in both places

      Delete