Sunday 10 July 2022

1 am Fears and Thoughts

 1am plus 8 minutes. I had to get up to have a pee. I lie down. The window above the bed is wide open with only  mosquito netting. Dammit  I can smell smoke. 

I had a look out but no flames, no glow in the sky. It's sort of a stale ash smell so I hope it's only smoke drifting over from wild fires on the mainland . Or my 1am imagination .


Now I have to try and get back to sleep.   I can't of course.


Maybe it's just a wet earth smell. That was strong this afternoon. Dry brown earth dampened down after a short sharp shower.


Elsewhere there was bad flooding. Most unusual for July. Our climates have been tossed and tumbled. West of us Europe has been having heatwaves. Here we are still happily surviving afternoon heat with a fan or a seat in the shade and a bit of a breeze . 


No ants this year. How odd. They used to come out in force before rain was due, invading the bread bin, the closed honey jar and any food left on the bench for half a minute. Don't know how many times I've had to wash a plate of fish or meat to get rid of ants before sealing the dish in the fridge, the only place they can't raid. 


Of course I check my phone. Some messages from NZ where, thanks to an app on my phone, I know it's 10.08 am.


Two messages from yesterday. One glad, one sad. A new addition to our family and a departure.

Do you have clusters of family dates? New borns, a new generation coming in on birthdates of other members of the family?  We have quite a few. For a start my oldest grandson was born on my birth date.


And then there's the number 26. It pops up many times in the family calendar. And now numbers 8 and 3.


3 am . Getting chilly. Time to cover up with a sheet. And turn off YouTube where I've been listening to a video/vlog on glitches in the matrix. Entertaining bosh. 


K is happily snorting in the next room. He couldn't sleep and moved out earlier so as not to disturb me. I'm awake anyway. 


Maybe I should listen to a sleep meditation but the voices grate and annoy.


Roll over and sleep girl!!  So I did. Until 6am when I was woken by thunder and heavy rain. Had to get up and close windows . 












21 comments:

  1. Glad you got back to sleep eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we have family numbers. Two of them are the days that my brother always rings me (although he rings me other times as well) as they are special to us - my other two brothers think we are mad! Last night I finally got to sleep at 4am and still woke up at 6! I expect to need a nap this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take that nap! Call it siesta. You need it. Hope your symptoms pass quickly.
      Most of our family birthdays are clustered together at the end of the year. I wonder about death dates. Never considered them

      Delete
  3. Someone very close to me died on my birthday. It happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that Yael. May they rest in peace

      Delete
  4. Yes, easily awakened and the mind starts sifting through all the good and bad…..makes it very difficult to shut off and drift back to sleep. Nice of K to go to another room, Romeo does that now and again. I have found that even if I only manage 3-4 hours, it’s enough to get through the day, and I rarely have those sleepless nights 2 nights in a row.
    We don't really have the dates, but there are months when half the family has birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. October, November and December are chock a block with family birth dates. Amazing how many times a new babe is born on the birthdate of an older member of the family

      Delete
  5. That was a bit of a rough night Linda. I hope the next night is much better. Hugz :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually sleep well thank goodness. Thanks

      Delete
  6. I hope you don’t have fires. Summer is always scary here for that reason. And since we have had lots of rain it means there will be lots of fuel
    I listen to meditation music. No singing just the music and it helps me sleep

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered sounds of heavy rain and thunder . Surprising how relaxing it was

      Delete
  7. We have had a few tiny Ants in the kitchen (easily dealt with), and I'm beginning to notice flying Ants on the surface of the pool water. The flying Ants rise from beneath the ground in huge columns; it's quite a sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually have loads of ants, small ones inside, giants outside. There are a few around but nowhere near the usual numbers. Thank goodness no flying ants

      Delete
  8. Oh dear those sleepless nights are no fun are they!! I have woken up in the middle of the night and smelt smoke too, never found a reason for it. Hope the ants stay away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's awful to be awake with worries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write them down and forget about them. Or try to. I usually sleep well. But not always

      Delete
  10. I sleep next to a snorer too, usually he wakes me up anywhere up to 12 times a night, I have to wind my brain down to fall asleep again. Haven't seen ants yet but will have to see come Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy. There's nothing worse than a snorer. K snorts and snuffles as well and wakes up half a dozen times to pee. Not easy sleeping next to him

      Delete
  11. Oh my... I would not want to live with all those ants everywhere. I am having nightmares now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky ants seem to prefer warm climates! Maybe dry ones too. These disappear during winter. Wonder why they haven't invaded this summer

      Delete