Saturday 24 April 2021

Little Lazarus-es

 Lazarakia.  Little Lazaruses

They are small sweet, raisin bread made in Greece on Lazarus Saturday, the Saturday before Palm Sunday and the beginning of Holy Week.  They are baked to celebrate the miracle of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead.  


The small loaves are shaped like a man wrapped in a shroud with cloves for eyes.  The recipe has loads of spices, mastiha, mahklepi, cinnamon, cloves and I put in a little cardamon and ginger as well.  The bread follows the fasting rules, no eggs, butter or milk.


This is the first time I have made them.  A few years ago the grandaughters made small paper dolls representing   Lazarus but I've only recently heard of these sweet man-shaped buns.   On some islands they are stuffed with nuts and raisins.  I simply added raisins to the mix.  A big spoon of marmalade would also give a special taste.  And a glaze of honey and oil, olive oil.


In many places they can be found in the local bakery.  I doubt if ours will have fresh hot Lazarakia and I'm not going down to the harbour to find out.


It is finally raining.  Good steady rain which the olive trees and grape vines will be slurping up.  My young tomato plants and pumpkin seedlings will be loving it too.


Wikipedia says that 'one of the Lazarakia should be kept in the home for the entire years and either eaten the following year (?) or thrown to the fish'.


Before 



And after. 





In days gone by. The paper Lazarakia
These girls are now towering teenagers


If you pull the legs the arms go up and down



14 comments:

  1. Your Lazarokia look great! We made about 180 of them yesterday afternoon for today's and tomorrows services. We don't use raisins, and we cross the arms over the chest held in place with whole cloves and clove eyes. Yours are so cute, I'm going to show them to my co-baker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow good for you. 180. Go girls go.
      I saw them being made on TV the other day and decided to give them a try. Next time they'll be better I hope. They tasted great. And very nice for breakfast. Orthodox hot cross buns

      Delete
  2. Little aliens!
    The paper dolls are lovely. Very clever girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K knows all about these traditions and passes them on to the grandkids

      Delete
  3. I had not heard of those baked treats before, they are a great reminder of Jesus' resurrection and promise to us. Cute dolls and girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greek hot cross buns!! I hadn't heard of them either but saw a woman making them on TV.

      Delete
  4. Did you add lots of yeast to make them rise? 😊

    The only thing I have seen baked in a human shape are gingerbread men. Like the famous ones in Grasmere in the Lake District in England.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of yeast. They did double in size. I was thinking gingerbread men when I was making them but they are more bun than biscuit

      Delete
  5. I'd be interesting in trying those, wonder what they'd taste like with loads of butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think hotcross buns, toasted, slathered in butter and jam!!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful way to keep up the family tradition. Here we lost it a bit and sometimes I'm sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a determined Greek man in our family who follows all the traditions.

      Delete
  7. Ive truly never heard of the biscuits
    They do look very yummy although
    Maybe I’ll try and find a recipe on the net and give them a go
    Better late than never I say lol

    ReplyDelete