Sunday 31 May 2020

3 Months

Sunday service.  A 3 month memorial for our cousin who was buried on the day lockdown started.  He had no 9 day memorial, no 40 days memorial but some of his friends did arrange a blessing over the grave.   Early this morning I dressed all in black and showed my face at the morning service




I didn't go inside to light a candle.  K went inside and lit one for me and was then told to leave, and stand outside.  I don't know how many were allowed to sit inside but apparently it was full.  There is also a second floor, the women's space, where you can go and observe from above, women and children only.

We all sat across the road.



The priest came to the door to give communion.  I wonder if he used the same spoon for every person


The 'before' photo

There were chairs set outside, at a 2 metre distance.  We sat that way for about 5 minutes and then moved the chairs a bit closer so we could talk to each other over the priest and chanters who came through loud and clear from an outside speaker.  


Every so often K would jump up and tell us all  to stand up and stop chatting.  Grumble grumble grumble.  Not that the immediate family would dare to grumble but we all secretly smiled when someone else did.  

You're supposed to stand for the Lords Prayer and at a few other points in the service which no-one but him was taking any notice of



Social distancing soon went haywire but mind you it was mainly our large family 'bubble' that was together across the road


The 'offering' basket was brought outside too.

The basket is taken to the back of the church where the money is very noisily counted with rattling coins, chanters and the droning of the priest all competing to be heard. 

After a 20 minute sermon about 'likeness' to god and 'sameness' to god and Saint Konstantine and the beginnings of the Orthodox religion and something about Adam and Eve I started drifting off.  The actual memorial was a 5 minute address right at the end and then we all went off for coffee, liqueur and hard biscuits.  Any idea of social distancing had been forgotten by then and a good time was had by all. 

RIP cousin Kyriakos. He died too young but isn't forgotten

29 comments:

  1. It all sounds quite confusing to a non-religious person like me. At least a good time was had by all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol it's still confusing to me after 45 years here. I follow the leader and try to look pious....when I have to

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I'm still researching the answer!!

      Delete
  3. So sorry for your loss, I know here if you were in your family bubble that was ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It started out as a family bubble and ended up as a free-for-all!! We are still free of the virus....hoping it stays that way

      Delete
  4. This pandemic has made many things very strange. The sooner we learn to live with it, the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it all much more being able to sit outside. This new system suits me fine

      Delete
  5. I always go to funerals of people I've known. I mingle with all the other mourners outside the church (to make myself seen), then after the coffin has arrived and been taken into the church, I wait for everyone to go inside and go home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling. As long as the family sees your presence then you've done your duty. I usually skip the church part and go to the cemetery and then if I have to I'll go to have coffee afterwards.

      Delete
  6. I smiled at the chairs getting closer and closer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is rather the same about here. You get the odd person who glares at everybody, probably not a local. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks once again Rachel. My dear other half is very strict about procedure but outside we didnt expect him to worry quite so much. All taken in good spirit. We did love that the others disagreed with him though!

      Delete
  8. I always enjoy your tales from the Greek island Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another book for you to write?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Dave, that book!!
      I should be on my second by now. If only

      Delete
  10. Yup. If I have to go to any of those. I always just turn up at the end.
    Unless it’s a close family member
    Having grown up in the Greek church it was bizarre when I attended a Catholic Church were everyone was quiet and they all came in at the start and left at the end.
    So different to our pretty relaxed and chaotic services.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relaxed and so much more human. I was watching the little kids there, especially the boys swinging on the railings, running up and the steps , having a fun time with friends. On a Sunday this priest rounds them all up after church and they have breakfast in the 'womens place' in the church. My grandson is quite happy to troop along.
      I always come too early, guilty because K has been there an hour before me and I watch in envy at how many suddenly appear at the very last minute.

      Delete
  11. The only Greek church I have ever been in (Melbourne) had cubicles around the outside. If you were sitting down inside one no one would see if you fell asleep or were doing your knitting. I assumed however (for no good reason) that they were reserved for men. Since being in Greece I have visited a few of the churches attractive to tourists, but not been in one for a service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble with the greek church of course is that the service is in greek!! I do recognise quite a few of the services now having been to so many weddings, funerals and baptisms . I recognise the lord's prayer too and the 'i believe' but other than that all I get is Kyrie eleison (God have mercy) and amen

      Delete
  12. When we were sailing one time. We came back from dinner, we found a priest in the cockpit of our boat. "hello" we said probably very loudly. "Shhhh" he said. So we sat in silence for 5 mins. "I am hiding from them".... "from who?" we asked "there are women up there, I hide from them". "why?" "They bring me food and I have to through it in the water".... And that was it for the conversation other than we said, you need to take you hat off as you can see it from the jetty. He was gone when we went to get the bread in the morning. So the priests hide in the harbour in Spetses. lol The fish must love him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious! Wonder what on earth he was doing. Our priest would have told any woman in no uncertain terms to back off.

      Delete
    2. He had plastic tupperware boxes, he was throwing the food in the sea. I take it he didnt like their cooking or they were all giving him too much. lmao

      Delete
  13. gosh I miss the sea today. take a big breath of air for me please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll and have a peek right now and take a few breaths!!
      Pity I can't send you some ozone from the med

      Delete
  14. Late to the party as usual.
    Loved this post Linda - family is what makes life what it is.
    It's been a while since I was a regular C of E/Anglican church goer but on the odd ocassion we've been recently it's amazing how it all 'comes back' to you. Sit, kneel, stand, responses, yes prayers even.... I thought I'd forgotten it all.

    BTW who's your friend touting the meaning of life??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, you're always welcome, whatever the hour!
      As for our friend, my friend?, he's floating cyber space now, meditating for eternity on the meaning of life! Until he pops up again, as I noticed he did today. Delete, delete

      Delete