Tuesday 19 March 2019

Our Ghost Returned

Heebie jeebies, midnight hauntings, bad vibes, it's all happening here.  

You might remember one post I wrote about our ghost.  The ghost who activated the flash on my quad bike, usually on dark nights with no moon. Making the trek across the road to turn the damn thing off  was a rather scary trip.   

The same ghost, one presumes there was only one, would turn on the radio in the middle of the night, the radio that is in our back shed.  That was another scary after-midnight trek that I made many a time.


He, we thought it must be the previous owner, Mr Lambros, would also turn on the tap outside at inconvenient hours.  

I can't recall how many times I was woken in the middle of the night by the sound of music, the tik,tik,tik of the bike flash, or the noise made by water streaming into a marble sink.

Eventually we lit a candle for the ghost and since then all these odd occurences have stopped.  Completely.  Until a few days ago. 
Twice now we've woken in the middle of  the night to pitch black.  No hall light, no emergency light, just utter darkness.  A black out.  But not a general black out, nothing to do with the electricity department.  After a short investigation my inhouse electrician realised the switch had been short circuited (or whatever you call it when the general switch goes down),  flipped it up and all was well.  Till it happened the second time, once again around 5am.


K is looking at the power points outside to see if any have got wet during some very heavy winter rain.  I doubt that's the cause.  We're waiting to see if it happens again.

I thought it might be the ghost that was flooding our bathroom floor at odd times but that is 'probably' caused by a leaking pipe.  'Probably', because the water appears on the floor at  times when no-one has been into the bathroom and turned on a tap.  I'm watching that situation as well.

Those first ghost episodes came a to head when one night there was an almighty crash and we found that a heavy brass bell and a brass mortar and pestle had 'fallen' from the bookcase.   I suppose I should light another candle now before some other resounding crash or mystic episode breaks our peace and quiet.

Reminds me of a friend of mine here on Poros who moved into the house of a cousin of ours.  The cousin's elderly mother had lived all her life in the house and in later years she had a 'fascination' with taps.  She turned them all on and left the water running till one of the family found a flood on their daily visits.  In the end they turned her water off and removed some of the taps.  

When my friend moved into the house a couple of years later she would often find the kitchen tap running.  One day the tap turned itself on while she was in the kitchen with her back turned.  Fortunately J was not easily scared and talked to Kyria Marissa like an old friend.  She and the ghost had a very friendly relationship.   J found some of her bits and pieces around the house, some old shoes in the goat house, a small parcel of old valueless coins, some cutlery in the drawer of a kitchen table.  She cleaned all these up and kept them safe for the old lady so her ghost had no reason to be spiteful.




This head of garlic, wrapped in fishing net is hanging over our front gate.  It is supposed to keep away the evil eye, and vampires.  It does wonders for the vampires but it doesn't stop blue eyed fiends casting the evil eye on us and ghosts are unimpressed by a bit of garlic.






15 comments:

  1. I have seen a ghost. So I believe you. I have also smelled pipe tobacco and heard gates open that aren't there and the sound of hobnail boots coming down the garden path. Good post LA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one doesn't frighten at all and it certainly was some sort of energy . It all stopped after that candle and that was months ago. I'm sure it's the ghost again. Why would the power go out around 5am and just come back with a flip of the switch.
    Interesting. I'll let you know what happens

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so interesting, let us know what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far we've only had the black out twice and the water in the bathroom has been fixed. I will let you know if the elecricity problems continue

      Delete
  4. Living in a very old house (300 years), we hear all sorts of noises. Usually there is a logical explanation, but occasionally.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what Iused to say...about the logical explanation. I would laughingly refer to a 'ghost' until that heavy bell fell down. And what is even more convincing is that since we lit the candle all these activites have stopped....and that is some months now

      Delete
  5. Some incense and prayers and telling the lost soul to go into the light
    Maybe get the local priest in to do a blessing. I’ve had to clear a couple of homes myself

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. K wanted to bring in a priest and we almost did have a home blessing but the candle did the trick. At least I never felt that the spirit was harmful in any way and didn't feel afraid going out into a dark night t turn off switches and taps. Although the noise of rustling in the grasses next to us freaked me out! Now I'm thinking 'why was it always me who had to venture out into the cold dark night?"

      Delete
    2. Now I'm thinking 'why was it always me who had to venture out into the cold dark night?" .... I was wondering that too!!!

      Delete
    3. In the middle of night he just wouldn't get out of bed. I had to go out if it was the flash on the quad bike or I'd have a flat battery. I'm just an obedient greek wife....sometimes

      Delete
  6. By light a candle, you mean light a candle in church?????

    Yesss, whyyyyyyy didn't your big, strong husband, go out into the dark night?!?!?!?!

    I'd bet he'd not want the other guys, to know that!!!! Or is it a Greek thing? LOL

    That big heavy object(s) would really scare me.

    Keep us posted!

    Happy Spring!
    �� �� �� �� ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until that heavy bell fell I will not joked that it was a ghost but looking back it was all just too weird. We lit a candle in the house and one in our local little church

      Delete
    2. I just joked...

      After that candle it all stopped immediately!

      Delete
  7. Ahhhh, my little green leaves, under Happy Spring! didn't come out, in your comments.

    Pooooooooh!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Get the priest in and have the house blessed.

    ReplyDelete