Thursday 20 September 2018

Kiwis and more Kiwis



The kiwis rellies came back with more kiwis in tow

All of them ex-pats, visiting the 'old country' (Britain, home of the ancesters) for their two year OE, overseas experience
London is the base for most Australians and NZers who travel to the northern hemisphere to see 'the rest of the world'.  They stay a couple of years but ultimately go back to their land  downunder.  They find a flat, get a job in the city and travel as much as possible.  Oh, and drink lots of beer even if it is flat and warm in Blighty.

Blighty - an affectionate nickname for Britain

I did the same myself 45 years ago.  I spent three years in London, working and seeing 'the continent' as it was called back then.  It seems to be known as 'Europe' now.

Many kiwis have British passports through their parents.  I had a special stamp because three of my grandparents were born in England and I could stay as long as I wanted.    On a NZ or Australian passport they can now stay two years and work during that time.  Kiwis ( and aussies too ) are good workers and are often sponsered by the company they find work with and stay indefinitely.

Most of us have rellies in the old country.  I have first cousins and others many times removed.  One of my father's cousins was Admiral of the Fleet during WW11 and another Governor of Malta.


Back to my young rellies

My nephew and niece left Poros and joined an 8 berth yacht to do a weeks  cruise around the Saronic Gulf islands (those near us).  On Tuesday they sailed into old familiar Poros harbour and berthed near the 'green chairs' cafeteria for the night.

We met them and three of their cruise mates, NZers via London, at the green chairs for a drink and then K took them up to an off the tourist track taverna, Platanos, the Plane Tree.

We sat out under the plane tree and gave the newcomers a taste of Poros hospitality.  K had very recently saved their dishwasher from disaster so the owners Eleni and Kamel, migrants from Egypt, gave us their very best.



The boys
K, Samouel, and Carl 



The girls - Victoria and Laura



The Greek and his ouzo


The grecophile and her ouzo, octopus ready on the fork

Grecophile - one who admires Greece and the Greeks





The owner Kamel (on the right) came out of the kitchen  and with our waiter raised a glass with us, our way of saying 'thank you' for the drinks offered by the taverna.  There is Katy, Katerina our honarary Greek, popping up in the middle




We started off with an ouzo and then tried all the wines
Red, white and rose were all local
and excellent




This marmelade cat entertained us leaping up the tree trying to grap the end of a piece of rope





We were shouted  carafes of wine, a watermelon shot each and when the dirty dishes were cleared then out came plates of fresh watermelon

Children and grandchildren joined us at the table for the usual loud, chaotic meal
Time for the group photo
and once again good-bye
I'm sure they'll all be back


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. When I look at that last group family photo I realise just how good life is. I'm lucky

      Delete
  2. You do, have a wonderful time, where you live!!!!!!!!!! Great for you all...!!!!!!

    Mmmmmmm, any headaches, the morning after, all that delightful drinking...???? >,-))))

    🍁 🎃 🍁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was lots of wine but actually we didn't each drink that much. The kids sailed out early next morning. Headaches would have been disastrous!

      Delete
  3. Looks wonderful - is that an All Black jersey that "The Greek" is wearing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly is an all blacks shirt. We've all got one. Should have made it compulsory wearing!

      Delete
  4. What a lovely time you all had what a life. Might have to come visit the old country more often I think
    Now I just need lots of money lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could I would visit NZ or Australia. Just need lots and lots of money!

      Delete
  5. Looks like a good place to eat, beer I can't stand but give me Ouzo anyday.

    ReplyDelete