Sunday 2 September 2018

Summer Something-s


It's still too hot to write.   It is 8pm and the sun is sinking fast but I still have to sit in front of the fan to keep the sweat from stinging my eyes.  September 1st is not the beginning of autumn here.  
The wild billy goats are snuffling around in the field next door and the cicadas are still screeching away although at this time in the evening their voices are becoming a little feebler.

Did you know the world was supposed to end on 23rd September last year?  Well, just in case you were wondering , it didn't end.  I'm still here, no Nibiru, no planet X collided and turned me to dust.  

I just survived another summer.


What is it with these giant pink flamingos?  Last year they were everywhere, in the water, on the decks of yachts, floating out to sea.  I photographed this one in our old neighbourhood.  We have real flamingos in an estuary near us but they are white, not pink, just now.

And yesterday we saw a stork perched on the top of a power pole.  I was so excited I forgot to take a photo.  Storks are common in northern Greece where their huge nests are balanced precariously on high poles.  I remember their clack, clack sound.  I have never seen a stork this far south.  I  presume it was resting on its journey south to a warmer winter climate.





This is definitely a summer-something.  Not a 'something' that a real Greek man would drink.  


Alcohol free, or just lighter, beer was very popular this summer.  This one tasted quite fruity and was really refreshing




This fruit is called 'frankosyka' in greek.  Prickly pear in English and I see it is also called 'linguee'.  The fruit is sweet and tasty but so difficult to pick.  The 'pears' are covered in very fine prickles and can cause great discomfort if they get into the skin.  They have to be picked with gloves or  long handled scissors and peeled without the rind touching your skin.  They grow like mad here.


A sandy beach and the calm clear waters of the Saronic Gulf.  A wonderful way to cool off and spend the day, just swimming, reading and gazing at the activities of those around you ... with a cold drink in hand


What would a blog post about Greece be without food.  This dish is 'spetsofai'.  Multi coloured peppers (capsicum for those downunder) and village sausage stewed with fresh tomatoes.  And that is a bottle of ouzo in the background


To clear the palate at the end of a meal, at the end of the day, a slice of icy watermelon



v                                           

10 comments:

  1. Lovely summer days, and a clear blue sea to keep your toes cool, what could be better !
    We have those pink flamingo garden statues here, I'm nowhere near Florida, so not sure of the purpose :)
    That watermelon looks delicious, we could do with a slice or two today, it's in the mid nineties....
    *sigh*.
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The heat seems to be worse at the end of summer. You're mentally ready for fall but the weather is not quite what you expect

      Delete
  2. I imagine that one does not want to meet a wild billy goat, along the way. Presuming they are mighty un-friendly creatures.

    We got a taste of Autumn, but summer returns this week, again. Bahhhh-humbug... I'm tired of it.

    Leaves are changing though... Real Autumn won't be long now... Wishing some, for you too!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking forward to September and October. Temps are usually warm and balmy. I see the long range forecast here is for hot, hot, hot. Darn it

      Delete
  3. It all sounds lovely. When we bought our 5 acres north of Awanui there were several large prickly pears. I never tried them. We gradually got rid of them because of the prickles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very hard to get rid of here. Trimming them is difficult and getting rid of the prunings and then the roots really have to be dug out. Not worth the effort. Most of the prickly pears around here are growing wild and the council has to deal with them thank goodness

      Delete
  4. I bought a Watermelon last week that promised to be 'without pips'. It wasn't, but was still very refreshing. I'm sure I remember someone saying they fried chunks, and it was delicious; but I can't confirm this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resourceful greek housewives make preserves out of watermelon and pickle the rind. I've even seen them make watermelon pie on tv but never fried. I'm sure it is poossible. Cant imagine what it tastes like

      Delete
  5. Autumn doesn't start here in the UK until the Autumn Equinox which is 21 September.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so looking forward to summer this year. I’m over the cold dreary winter
    Icy watermelon sounds wonderful and as always the food looks delicious. But here right now the fire is roaring and I’m snuggled on the couch. I have Tuscan meatballs in the slow cooker and I’ll cook that pasta when it’s time to eat dinner.

    ReplyDelete