Tuesday 3 July 2018

Hibiscus Tea

I have been watching a series on cooking in orthodox monasteries, some with monks and others only nuns.

Most eat no meat and they fast for over 200 days a year, eating  pulses, grains and vegetables.

  The monastics eat mainly whatever they grow in their gardens.  They preserve, pickle and sell a lot of their produce be it vegetables, wine, cheese or oil.

It is really interesting seeing life inside these monastic orders, especially the female monasteries/nunneries.  Many are rich with  acres of olive trees, herds of goats and cows, huge gardens.  However it is hard work and very 'hands-on' .  The nuns and monks don't just sit in church all day reciting their prayers. 




 In a nunnery it is the nuns themselves who do most of the work, driving tractors, and other farm machinery, milking, herding, tending the animals, making cheese, tilling the fields.  All these things are done by women all over Greece, it just seems strange to me to see the nuns in long, black, all-covering habits toiling this way. 





A female monastery near us which we visit now and again over easter. 
 Like many of the monasteries it is a collection  of stone buildings high up in the mountains, surrounded by immaculate gardens and hidden behind high walls


The monastery in Crete



Most monastics enjoy some sort of herbal tea, drinking it for their health and offering refreshment to visitors.  The flavour  of the tea depends on what is growing around them .  Mountain tea (tsai tou vounou) is a huge favourite all over greece. Ironwort seems to be the English translation.



Today the programme visited a monastery in Crete, much smaller than most of them with only an Abbot and 3 monks. The monk in charge of the kitchen looked well fed, enthusing over the snails he was stewing.  A larger type of snail called kohlous are a specialty in Crete.  I saw them described somewhere as the 'lobster of Crete'.



Cretan snails
The monk was not at all concerned about frying live snails, giving them a  lingering death.  Bad karma



 He introduced me to cold hibiscus tea. This tea is made with cold water, and is not the usual brew steeped in boiling water.




He collected a handful of those gorgeous red  hibiscus flowers and set them out in the sun to dry.  The tea was made by adding a few dried hibiscus leaves to a jar of cold water and leaving  it for a few hours.  He strained out the flowers and poured the brew into glasses.

You can make it with fresh flowers as well and it can also be enjoyed hot if you prefer.

Hibiscus tea is rich in Vitamin C and helps with stress and anxiety.  It also helps reduce high blood pressure, protects the liver, helps in weight loss and benefits the body in a number of other ways .


We have loads of hibiscus here so I'll be collecting a few flowers and trying out the cold tea, just to see how it tastes.   The resulting tea is a bright pink. Looks exotic.

 I've never heard of anyone around here drinking hibiscus so it will be a novelty.



21 comments:

  1. Hibiscus tea sounds interesting, and certainly must look delightful.

    Frying live snails, does not sound so delightful.

    Gracious! Those nuns would fit right in, in a rigid Islamic setting!

    You said you are hot now too. A trip to a high spot, probably was refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had my first swim in the sea. The water was cool and refreshing. Feel much better!
      I couldn't believe it when I saw those live snails going in. I know we cook and eat snails but they go to a quick death in boiling water....like a lobster! These ones went in while the frying pan was cool and slowly got hotter. Probably more than you needed to know!

      Delete
  2. What busy lives they lead, I have nothing but admiration for them.
    We brew tea in the sun here also, just place a few tea bags in a gallon jug, and gently screw the lid to almost all the way, sit in the sun, and six hours later, it's ready. I like to add Lavender and Lemon.
    No snails for me :)
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read about your sun tea. I must try it!

      Delete
  3. Lime tree (Linden) flowers are popular here as an 'infusion'. Personally I prefer Lapsang. Snails in garlic butter are a favourite of mine; I hope to be eating some on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely prefer french snails. They look to be about the size of the Cretan snails, but with garlic butter. Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. They must have a great knowledge of what medicinal and practical uses for their herbs, flowers, vegetables..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These monks and nuns know all about herbs and natural remedies. It's really interesting. We already know a lot of what they are talking about but always something new

      Delete
  6. https://dietzne.wordpress.com/the-red-tea-detox/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried Hibiscus tea before. What are it's benefits? Is it good for weight loss? Trying to shead some pounds heard that diet teas are a good way to go. I'm new at this and a friend sent me this site and I was going to try it out.

      Delete
  7. I drink it, it is called carcadè here, comes in tea bags and sold in any supermarket. I drink it both ways, hot or cold. Even children like it because they are attracted by its red colour.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria, you are one step ahead of us!! Ive seen a lot of teas in our supermarket but not this one. I shall look up carcade. And I'm going to pickle some of those peppers mentioned on Cros post.
      Ive found a couple of recipes. We pickle the big red peppers but not these. What do you put into your pickle mix?

      Delete
    2. This is a very easy and very simple family recipy my mum taught me:
      NGREDIENTS (for 4 jars of 250 g each)
      peppers 1 kg
      white wine vinegar 500 ml
      Coarse salt 2 tablespoons
      METHOD
      Wash the peppers under running water and allow them to dry on a clean cloth.
      Put the peppers in previously sterilized jars, pressing them well, but without breaking them.
      Put the vinegar and coarse salt in a pan, bring to a boil and switch off the heat.
      Fill the jars of peppers with the boiling vinegar up to a finger from the edge: the peppers must be completely covered with vinegar.
      Close immediately with previously sterilized caps.
      Put the jars in a large pot, cover them completely with water and bring to a boil: sterilize them making them simmer for 20 minutes from the moment the water boils, turn off and allow the water to cool completely inside the pot.
      Remove the cold jars from the pot (a day after), dry them well and store them in a dark and dry place.
      They keep up to about a year...but ours never last that long!
      x

      Delete
    3. P.s. carcadè may also be spelt with a K, Karkadè, so look for that name as well in the supermarket.
      x

      Delete
    4. Thank you Maria. I ill use your recipe. It sounds simple and these are something I think we will all enjoy

      Delete
  8. Apart from the 'Incident of the Snails' that sounds like a series I would enjoy watching.

    Hibiscus tea sounds like a miracle drink, beautiful as well as healing Maria's pickled pepper recipe looks like something even I could manage. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All these herbal teas are supposed to cure and heal and strengthen and heaven knows what. I wonder how much you have to drink for it to make a difference?I am certainly going to try it.....when I gather the flowers, and also the sun tea with lavender and lemon. Ive heard of that before.
      I'm off to get some fruit tea bags right now. I have various teas in my cupboard which I tend to forget about.

      Delete
  9. I have had it is Thailand. Very sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sol, sorry I've taken so long to answer. The hibiscus flower is the last thing I would have taken to be ok for an infusion and yet so many others seem to know all about it. Here they use honey as a sweetener

      Delete
  10. I would love to watch something like that, I'm very interested in being self sufficient in food etc. Have you seen the likes of tudor farm or victorian farm? you can find them oh youtube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Tudor farm series was on satellite tv but I only saw one episode.
      Being self sufficient is what I thought I could od but I'm just not a good gardener. Some things grow well but most of my crops are poor no matter the compost and the manure I put on them. Maybe I need to talk to them more!
      My sis in law in Maketu can get kilos of tomatoes from one plant and my father was the same. Green fingers!

      Delete