Wednesday 9 May 2018

LIDL Hellas


 LIDL.  They have taken over Europe.  Wikpedia  describes it as a German global discount supermarket chain with over 10,000 stores in Europe and the USA.

I'm not singing its praises but Lidl does provide us/me with  goodies which are not available elsewhere, except perhaps in the speciality shops in the capital, Athens.  It's cheap too which of course is the main reason we make for it on a day out.

Let the buyer beware however.  I have bought 'fresh' bread there which was still doughy in the middle. We often (well not me but other outspoken half) have 'words' with the cashier because the money rung up wasn't the same as that on the price tag over the shelf or bin.  If an appliance is faulty or broken you'll need to be very pushy to get a replacement.  In other big stores they have power points where you can try electrical goods out before leaving the premises.

Some of the foreign goods I look for



I used to buy these german sausages a lot.  They were the closest I could get to an english sausage.    Bratwurst


The are large and very white.  I haven't bought them in a while.  In the end they were disappointing, just not the 'dinkum' sausage I remember.

During the summer all the Lidls in our area have big camper vans parked outside with German plates and a lot of happy shoppers inside.  I wonder though whether they shop at Lidls back home in Germany.


Some of the greek goods available.  Big bottles of cheap retsina.  The classic greek wine with a pine resin taste.  Resin was once used as a preservative.  When I first came to Greece in the 70s it was the only wine available except for a very ordinary white wine called Domestica.  Now retsina is found mostly bottled in the supermarket.  It is no longer the house wine as local tavernas.


ΡΕΤΣΙΝΑ  the greek for Retsina


And bottles of soumada, made out of almonds.  Offered at traditional Cretan weddings, though I don't remember it at those I attended.

Almonds and water are blended and the liquid is strained.  The almond water is added to a water and sugar syrup and served hot or cold.

Such a pity they don't bring in hot cross buns at easter as they seem to do elsewhere in Europe.  We do find sweet and sour sauces and noodles.  I like their powdered capuccino powder, a fraction of the price of the nescafe brand found in our local market.  Their toilet paper is thick and durable, Irish butter is cheap.  Chocolates are extremely cheap.  I try and quick march past them.

Some years ago we had a spanish supermarket chain in Greece called Dia if I remember rightly.  Their prices were even cheaper.  We used to have shopping expeditions across the waters to stock up.  They seem to have disappeared.  

Greek supermarkets have cottened on to 'specials' and 'own brands' and most of the prices are within our budget.  We always used to shop at the local grocery shops but while service is better and they are open all  hours the supermarket is where we buy most of our goods now.  The manager at our local is a friend and next in charge is a nephew so we get all the inside info and the service we seek. 





16 comments:

  1. Somehow, I'd think you would eat what is found locally, living in such a wonderfully area. Isn't that what is touted as the most healthy way to eat? Find a Natural National Cuisine?

    Maybe my view is 'Polly-anna-ish" though. I see farmer's markets in the village square, twice a week. And local bakeries for delicious breads. Etc.

    Am I way wrong? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We buy and eat fresh and local, fruit, veges, fish, cheese, meat and are often given bounty from neighbours and friends who share ,as do we. Markets are twice a week. Hubby hates packaged and frozen but we do need a little of that sometimes plus coffee, loo paper, grains and dried goods. Often I just want to eat something different, something I remember from my homeland, my childhood. Which is why I tried those sausages. I make my an chutneys, jam, sauces but I also sometimes just want the old familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don’t have Lidl. But we do have Aldi. And I’m sure Lidl can’t be too far away I love Aldi. Never a problem with them. So if Lidl want to take custom away from them they will have to work very hard indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've heard Aldi and Lidls are similar. Lidls is cheap but we only buy certain things which we've tried and found worth the price

      Delete
  4. I used to love the Retsina at beachside Tavernas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the classic greek scene. A blue chair right beside the shining clear sea with scorching sun overhead and a half litre of retsina on the table. You can still find that scene but now you would have to bring your own retsina!

      Delete
  5. We have a Lidl at 5 minute drive from our home. I like their bacon and their potato crisps.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've tried their bacon. I will put it on the list for our next visit ... probably at the end of the month. We always buy big bags of their crisps. One of my daughters (very thin) loves them

      Delete
  6. I was very eating very healthy stuff a short while ago. That’s when the court case happened and I lost. I didn’t bother so much then. But I didn’t like.sugar at all. I even became a vegetarian. You can eat healthy stuff if you want to but it takes real determination to do it. I live in a care home so it was different for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We eat very healthy stuff but we also eat a lot of non healthy stuff. Temptation is everywhere here. Sticky pastry cakes like baclava, fatty sheep and pork, wine and raki.
      Bravo to you for giving up sugar and to hell with SALT!

      Delete
  7. We shop in our new Lidl store all the time. I use it for my garden centre suppliea and our cupboards have never been so full and your money goes so much farther. Not very keen on Aldi these days but you do save money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their garden supplies here are very limited. Now and again I find some herbs or a flower or two I buy. Most of their very small garden display is very sad and wilted.
      Money goes much much further there. We buy certain things which we know are bargains. We used to have a store very close but it closed down and now the nearest is an hour and a half away.

      Delete
  8. We have a Lidl store a few miles away. It took a while to work out which products we liked, but we got there in the end. My husband likes the middle aisles with their random assortment of household goods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hubby is just like mine. He only goes in for those middle aisles too. Gives me time to wander round and pick up the rest! I have a list now of things I usually buy or look out for. Our store is miles away and we only go every month or so

      Delete
  9. We shop in Lidl a lot. We have a bakery in ours that does all lovely breads and pastries. Like Dave, I also use it as a garden nursery centre. and have bought many flowers there this year to 'tart up' the front of our house. I get canned tomatoes there and lots of the the fresh vegetables. There are some good offers there some times. and at present they have Mythos beer in cans for £4.49 for a 6 pack. My parents love their canned fruit section.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mythos, well well well ... Good shopping!
    We use their tomato sauces but wish they had a better flower section here. Bakeries are just being introduced. Smell s mighty when you enter!

    ReplyDelete