Thursday 3 May 2018

Bits and Pieces

This bougainvillia seems to flower all year round.  


In full flower at the end of winter
and underneath our 'rural' post boxes
After years of asking for these boxes the council have finally made available mail boxes for 22 families that live up over the hills at the back of the island.  We were lucky to be one of the 22 to be given a key.  Mind you, they know what a fuss would have been made if we hadn't been one of the first to be allotted a box.  A loud voice gets served first here.

We still have to go 5ks down the mountain to empty the box but we 'save' , hmmmm, one kilometer not having to go to the postoffice.  The postman only comes up the mountain daily to feed his goats and other livestock.  He doesn't come up to deliver mail!


Painting the garden furniture.  The wooden and bamboo chairs were looking faded and tatty after 5 years in the searing sun.  I painted most of them but got a little help from the family too.  No sandpapering.  I paint only.
Most chairs, tables, doors, windows, shutters, houses here are painted blue or white.  I prefer this dark green colour for the outdoor furniture.  Blends well with the green of the grape vine surrounding the verandah



Not the clearest of photos.  In the middle of the picture is a gas burner to keep off the chill of these spring evenings.  Outdoor eating is wonderful but there is still a nip in that night air


Sunset over the 'sleeping lady'.  The outline of the hills on the horizon look like a woman lying on her back with her knees in the air


Our English neighbours returned bearing gifts.
'Mature farmhouse cheddar, made on the family farm'  and preserved in a thick layer of wax.  The best of english cheddar.  Just the right measure of sharpness and taste.

Also a beautifully wrapped package of Highgrove Orignal Fudge.  All profits go to the Prince of Wales Charitable Foundation.  Boy, is it moreish.  I eat it a crumb at a time.  Heaven in a classy little box.



14 comments:

  1. It’s good that England gets a mention even if it is a box of fudge. Great pictures and great weather. Reading your post was a great pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry. The fudge is the very best. The taste is so sweet and creamy. Darn mi British cheddar too

      Delete
  2. I would prefer the dark green on the outdoor furniture too!!!!!!!

    Hooray for the mailbox! "The squeaky wheel gets the grease!" As we say. Good saying!!!

    That cheese and fudge sound ammmmmazzzzzzing!!!!!!!!!

    Sunset over the 'sleeping lady'. What a delightful name for those hills. Lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hadn't thought of that saying!! Will remember to quote it now!
      That fudge is sheer indulgence. I love it but wish it would go away lol
      Not giving any to grandchildren!

      Delete
  3. Love the bougainvillia, a true sign of Spring, as for the fudge it's a bit sweet for me. Chocolate seems to do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This fudge is extremely sweet as my hubby notes everytime he eats a bit. A small piece is more than enough

      Delete
  4. I lost my bougainvillea due to extreme heat! I lost lots of plants this year
    Yes. It was that hot. They just burnt and died in one day. And I had been out a few times to keep the water out to them
    I’ll try again this year.
    It’s wet, windy and cold here today
    So I’m in bed keeping warm watching dvds and crocheting still working on that blanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell your heat must truly have been like a furnace. I notice these need quite a lot of water or they go brown quite quickly but still survive and thrive
      Keep up that crocheting!

      Delete
  5. My wife recently brought back Mature Cheddar from England. I am saving it for a special moment; not too long now methinks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have given us this cheese before and I knew how good it is. Was going to save it too for a special occasion. Instead I opened and enjoyed it immediately!

      Delete
  6. Lovely name for those hills!
    The Bougainville is beautiful. I had a bougainville growing in a big vase on my south-facing balcony but, it did not survive a very cold spell we had one winter.
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Bougainvilia grow through severe heat and snow. I love the colour but they have huge thorns. They are years old so I guess very hardy

      Delete
  7. I suppose they have thorns to stop anything eating their amazing flowers? They are amazing in Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the goats around here would still eat the bougainvillia! They eat anything.
      Thorns are lethal. We cut ours down after a few years. Pruning was dangerous. Scratches and wounds were the norm and getting rid of the prunings impossible. Now bougainvillias are bred without thorns

      Delete