Summer heat is continuing still.
The crowds have thinned slightly, nerves aren't so ragged but it aint over yet.
Yes, it's the fa-mouse Poppi
We leave for our holiday on the 18th and she leaves for her school on the 28th so we won't be able to 'engage' her services again until Xmas. We have only seen Poppi in passing this summer so it was wonderful to have her full-on personality and athletic strength for a few hours. She has spent all summer as a Life-Guard at one of the pools, working long hours
But we have hardly seen any of the family this summer. Everyone is working long hours.
I had a list for the girl. A 'Nana-list'.
First job was hauling all the heavier summer chairs, umbrella and tables out to the back verandah, storing and covering them. Then she cleared a space so we could lay out the big living room carpet and wash it. It has never been so clean in all it's life. She got the pressure hose out and got the top dirt off then scrubbed it down with a hard brush.
Then out into the garden to trim the bougainvillia to an inch of it's life. That darn thing, and the roses, have been tearing my thin skin to shreds. This is a white bougainvillia and it doesn't start blooming till the end of September. It should have shot up again and be full of white blooms by the time we return.
We trimmed a few pots which have suddenly gone brown and dry. I can't understand why. The thyme and oregano and the lavender have lasted years but all of a sudden have started dying out. They all got the 'bum's rush' as my father used to say. I'll replace them in October with new plants.
She filled up the car boot with garden rubbish and a few old chairs, hoorah! Then was on her way, on her motorbike, wearing a helmet, to deliver bowls of food I made for the busy family. Pastitsio and bifteki with potatoes this week.
Pastitsio - a sort of greek lasagna
Bifteki - rissoles, hamburgers, big meatballs, you get the gist
Here she is again
Our Diva! She rode in on her motorbike while I was visiting her Mother in the expensive bottle store. I move very warily in there. Some of the bottles of wine are hundreds of euros and the vodka and whisky are up to almost 1,000
Horrors
Instant tzakiki. Just add water
You don't even need to buy any yoghurt or peel a cucumber
I visited her Mums shop to say a huge 'thank you' to Danae and her sister Elli. I had my hair cut and coloured. When I went to pay Voula, our favourite hairdresser, she said 'oh you don't owe anything, your girls paid in advance'. I was truly overcome, had a wee sniffy moment. How nice
And D gave me this classey back pack
Now I can hold my head up amongst the retired Rear Admiral's wives and the widows of Naval Commanders when we are at the Naval Resort.
Actually I don't think these particular females mix with the hoi polloi. They have little bungalows at the far end of the bay, right on the water with private beaches and shaded sun loungers.
But the rest can be a bit cliquey. They arrange to holiday at the same time, wander along the waterline in groups showing off their saggy brown bodies and play Biriba (rummy) at night on their balconies
Yesterday started off with a bang. The sound of me taking a flying leap along the floor and ending up under the table 2 metres away.
Poor K was woken up by a strangled scream. He says it's the fastest he's managed to get out of bed in years.
I slipped, tripped, almost made it but went down at the last moment banging my head on the edge of the big heavy dining table.
Fortunately nothing was broken and although rather shaken I managed to get up with a little help. I had a bloody cheek and have a few bruises but that's all
I went down to get some arnica to put on the wound and Nektaria at the Pharmacy applied some antiseptic cream. All is well but K is watching me like a hawk in case something else happens. It won't!!
The orange bougainvillia which grows around the front of the chemist shop. The colour is amazing and it blooms all summer
The day before all this I was at Galatas visiting inlaws
K had the car serviced so we are all ready for a trip across country
A visit to our old neighbourhood
I had to photo this beautiful bougainvillia in full bloom and the classic blue and white island house
That's it for now folks









Ooohhh I hope your face heals up ok. Poppi did a great job didn't she. You are a Kiwi, you can hold your head up anywhere!! It is the snobs who miss out! The bougainvillea are beautiful, we have one here that insists on growing even though we are trying to get rid of it!
ReplyDelete