Thursday, 24 September 2026

Rainy Day

 Rainy days and Mondays  don't  get me down. Not when I'm on holiday.  It's a bit damp and I didn't pack an umbrella .  Who cares

We wake late, make coffee in our room .  Sit on the balcony with our hot coffee and watch a few braver souls dodge the downpour on the way to the cafeteria. Then it's just a matter of filling in time till 1pm when the restaurant opens. Everyone else is on the same timetable.  It's better to wait till 2. At 1 o'clock there's a queue and a bustle and rush for trays and tables. 

No need to rush. There's plenty of food for everyone.  Also for the busload of children from war torn Ukraine.  We see them on the beach and in a long orderly queue waiting for ice cream. They're amazingly well behaved



Cold wet sandy beach
Though incredibly there are a few swimmers
Just looking at that choppy grey water is quite enough for me


News flash....the only news I've heard in days

82 year old died after a violent fight over sun chairs with a 76 year old on an Athens beach.
I heard the oldies here discussing it in depth. The 82 yr old was once an officer in the Greek navy.  
I thought he might be German. They're so possessive of their sunbeds


Another day
The sun is shining again. But we went into town and stopped at the Chinese Emporium and bought an umbrella, just in case.
We had to go shopping at Ks favourite electrical shop for a special spray.  The car windows were left open during the storm and now one groans and sticks on its way up and down.
Fixed now he says!

I sat on the beach and finished my 3rd book. 2 whodunnits and a memoir of an English girl in a French village

Now I'm reading 'What am I Doing Here' by travel writer Bruce Chatwin .  A personal selection of stories and travelogues.  Published in 1989, the year he died, aged only 48.

His ashes are buried near a Byzantine church above the greek village of Kardamyli.  His friend and  Philhellene Sir Patrick Leigh Fermor  lived out his latter years there in a house he had built nearby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment