Tuesday, 4 August 2026

Summer Sensations

 

Summer Herbs




Three different types of basil
I only use the last one pictured, the smaller leaf basil when cooking
They all have a slightly different taste

I use basil in most summer dishes along with
Mint  and 
Parsley

Those are the taste of summer.  A refreshing taste combo for
Stuffed tomatoes
Anything with zuchhini and aubergines
Just about anything with tomatoes
Stewed green beans
Okra

And in meatballs and bifteki.  Bifteki is the greek hamburger on every taverna menu along with fried potatoes.  They are a favourite of mine along with most of the family.
Ks meatballs are more popular though.  He puts lots of mint and parsley.  No basil

20 years ago basil was not used in cooking.  It became popular when Greek cuisine branched out and Italian sauces started being used with pasta.

My very traditional Greek m-in-law would never have used basil to cook so neither does her very traditional Greek son.
She always had a pot or two in her yard.  Basil was supposed to, still is thought to, repel mosquitoes and flies.  I disagree.  Neither does lavender.  Nice to smell, they all let out a delightful aroma when given a shake, but mosquitoes just hold their noses and fly straight through to the target.  Someone's bare flesh.  Not often mine.  Ks neck or arms are more likely to be their destination.  Zoom in, probiscis sharpened and in stabbing mode.

Oregano and thyme are used a lot but more for heavier dishes, meat and fish.

Basil does NOT go into a greek salad, not a traditional one.  And neither does lettuce

Karpouzi


Watermelon time
We buy the minis, about the size of a basketball
They haven't been very flavourful but delightfully refreshing when cold
I cut them up into chunks ready for eating


The rind is cut into small pieces. I don't have a compost bin at the moment but put them round the trunk of the grapevine. So far they've been devoured by some nocturnal animal. A weasel or stoat maybe. Or a rat



4 comments:

  1. I love basil and always try to grow some each year, although mine has to be in a pot on the kitchen windowsill. It wouldn't thrive outside 🫤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The basil is amazing in the garden. I love the greenery and the smell. I'd love to have a pot inside in the winter

      Delete
  2. I love basil just for the smell, though I do use it in food as well. Watermelon is sitting ready sliced in the fridge right now, a delicious snack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With watermelon you don't need sugary desserts. And cut up in the fridge it's a the best summer snack!

      Delete