Wednesday 19 June 2024

Birthday Boy

Happy Birthday Kostas

He can finally be considered officially an OAP.  65.  6 years younger than me in case you're doing the maths.


The family travellers brought this huge banner with them.
In their suitcases.  K was suitably impressed and we have only just taken it down although his birthday was a few weeks ago.  It has been stored away till his next birthday.
And, yes, that's me on it too. A photo of us together at Xmas time.



Balls with lights for the garden.
Those clever kiwis had really thought about  the birthday celebrations 
And a string of light for around the terrace.




The line up for 'Strictly Maori Dancing'
Kiwi niece Julie on the left with kiwi s-in-law and 3 of my girls
 
They brought a dozen poi as well and had practiced a traditional Maori dance.  Poi is a form of rhythmical dance and song performed by maori women from Aotearoa (New Zealand) using balls on the end of a rope.



Greek kiwi girls got it immediately.  Our wahine does the poi.



These are the poi they brought with them. 12 of them!
Lots of fun.  As it should be on a birthday.


Thanks for carrying all these and more through Singapore, Italy and finally onto Greece.
We were blown away by this final surprise
For once it wasn't all about food
But
In case you wondered we had my delicious mousaka and Ks roast lamb, pork, chicken and potatoes. 

30 comments:

  1. Congratulations K. I won't be an OAP until I am 66 in Ireland. Only five and half years to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like fun. Twirl those balls, girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They left all the poi behind so they'll be practicing for next year.

      Delete
    2. So great to be there. Paul and Karen will be expecting to see a poi dance when they are over next year. Keep practicing. ❤️

      Delete
  3. And the food was of course, wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done girls and the food sounds delicious, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kiwi girls had done some practicing but the Greek girls did well

      Delete
  5. Looks like a good time was had by all.
    Did those hard clacker balls ever become popular in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I do remember the clacker balls. Vaguely. Pois are fun

      Delete
  6. K looks like a man who's 'satisfied with life'. I'm sure we'd get on well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good yarn and a glass of wine make happy men.

      Delete
  7. Wow! I love the girls with the poi. It's something I've never had a go with but my eldest daughter could twirl 2 in opposite directions with one hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your daughter was very clever....skilled I should say. Lots of fun

      Delete
  8. Xronia polla to K.
    I saw that dancing on our trip to NZ many years ago now. I’d probably smack myself in the face if I tried lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've seen it too at tourist areas. I actually made some years and years ago for the girls when they dressed up as maoris for carnival

      Delete
  9. A good deal of family fun going on there. He is a youngster at a 6 year gap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sure is a youngster. Gets older but never catches up to me!

      Delete
  10. My man is nine years younger than me... what was he thinking!! The party looks wonderful and it must be lovely hearing kiwi voices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The age difference didn't used to show but now I've got so many damn wrinkles . At least his hair is going grey

      Delete
  11. Xronia polla K - my neighbour in Piraeus had seen poi and decided to add it to her 'acrobat' skills. She twirls fire on the end of chains like long poi (and teaches if any of you want a few lessons ahead of the next visit).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twirling fire would really impress. I remember the photos you posted, way back. She's good

      Delete
  12. You all look to have had a wonderful family time! Have you come back to earth yet? X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judy and Steve Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still watching their journey. They're cycling and cruising round Croatia.
      It was a short visit but full of action. Gradually winding down 😀

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. It was one of the best nights we had. But we had lots of awesome evenings ☺️

      Delete
  15. Looks like everyone is having great fun. 65 years old is definitely worth celebrating.

    ReplyDelete