Saturday 9 September 2023

Summer Cinema

 It was my last chance to go to the movies this year.  The cinema has closed now till next summer.  It's on a roof top, open air. 

My daughter and Grandaughter suggested we go and see 'Book Club'.  They picked me up in their car, took me by the hand and led me up the stairs to the roof.  Otherwise I probably would have been a stick-in-the-mud and stayed at home.   


When we reached the top of the stairs the film was already playing and it sure wasn't 'Book Club'.  We expected a comedy and got drama.  3 hours of 'Oppenheimer' and atomic bombs. 
Rain was forecast for the premier of 'Oppenhiemer' the next night so at the last minute they switched films.  The change was advertised on Facebook but none of us ever look at Facebook so it was a bit of a surprise.

Had I known, I would have googled Oppenheimer and the atomic bomb before I went.  I have read two reviews on recent blogs but  skipped over those briefly, never expecting to actually see the film.  Being recent history it was  interesting, just not what we had geared up to watch. 
 


When I go to the movies, once every few years, I like to be entertained, have a laugh and come out feeling  happy, ready for a beer, or a g&t and a souvlaki.  Usually




The flash of the bomb.  
The noise was tremendous.  Don't know how the people living in the houses right next door stand it night after night.
We didn't stay till the end. 
We left after the bombs exploded on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I didn't see the bombs exploding either. I had to go to the loo. Too much diet coke. 
Granddaughter Poppi had a very early morning rising next day. She's the assistant coach for the younger Poros rowers and they had a long journey north to take part in competitions in Thessoloniki.

We got the gist, the story. The rest I read up on later. 


One of those houses used to belong to a priest (greek orthodox), a priest with 5, or 6, children. 
I remember many years ago watching him, amazed, instead of the film, as he came out onto the balcony with his long pony tail and his long black robes and proceeded to hang out the washing. 


My last visit to the movies was with my brother and sister in law.  I think it was 2019.


We saw 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood'
A comedy-drama
It was my era, my music
Described somewhere on the internet as
'a bonkers fairy tale in classic Tarintino style....brilliant screen play....star studded cast..'  That about sums it up.
I loved it .............


But my grandaughters didn't understand it at all

Poros gets all the latest movies and a good variety.
I hope it's not 4 years before I go again. I think I like a night out at the movies, even if I don't eat popcorn and I shouldn't drink diet coke. What a glorious buttery smell the popcorn had.  I stuck my nose in my granddaughters popcorn bucket and got  a good whiff. 





12 comments:

  1. That’s so disappointing. Getting excited to see one movie and then you get there and it’s totally different. It’s not a movie I’m in a hurry to see.
    The book club is a great film. I loved it. I want to see the second one now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Book Club 2 was the next film after Oppenheimer but I'm sure that got washed out. Hopefully they'll both appear on tv one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't been to the Movies since before covid - and not missed it. Shame I don't have grand-daughters to drag me out occasionally :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love going to the movies it's such a lot of fuss on midsummer, going down to the harbour, finding parking, keeping cool. Now and again it's most enjoyable

      Delete
  4. I have not been in a Cinema for over thirty years. I even struggle to find anything worth watching on Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely watch movies on tv. I prefer to watch a series, preferably detective stuff.

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't have chosen to see Oppenheimer at an outdoor summer film event even though I have seen it and enjoyed it. It needs to be seen without distraction and requires 100% concentration. . I think you did the right thing in leaving when you did as the final third becomes quite heavy. Book Club would have been much better and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I needed preparation and concentration

      Delete
  6. I haven´t been to the cinema since Covid, I don´t know why because I used to enjoy it. Like you I watch a film for entertainment, there´s enough grim stuff going on around us every day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How disappointing gearing up for one movie and then finding you were watching something else. I also agree, I want to watch something fun and come out happy at the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. RE the "Oppenheimer" movie

    This movie omits the unnecessary and evil bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and also of its testing grounds in New Mexico and the Marshall Islands as if there were no innocent victims and grave harm done (https://www.themarysue.com/oppenheimer-has-people-speaking-out-about-a-pretty-glaring-omission) which shows the lack of conscience of its creator/filmmaker/director. And much dark facts on Oppenheimer himself are also concealed in this Hollywood movie (https://amgreatness.com/2023/08/21/the-oppenheimer-file-missing-cast-and-forgotten-back-stories).

    "The primary job of both Hollywood and the mainstream western press is to is to put a friendly, normal-looking face on a globe-spanning empire which dominates the world using nonstop violence and coercion. Their job is to continually normalize freakish tyranny. They do this in a whole host of ways, including the agenda-setting practice of under-reporting inconvenient facts while amplifying convenient ones..." --- Caitlin Johnstone, Independent journalist

    So this immoral director presents a whitewash of history, a fake history account. Memory holing of real atrocities is immorality, a serious crime per any reasonable humane standard. Per official narrative the Nazi Holocaust should "not be forgotten" but the US Holocausts at Hiroshima/Nagasaki are fine "to forget." But this memory holing is in line with what it is: a stylish propaganda movie of the genocidal US empire, made by its criminal Hollywood 'dream factory'/propaganda apparatus. A celebration of the "wonders of technology" and the "brilliance" of its inventing immoral conscienceless scientists. A celebration of madness.

    It's the programing of the naive/dumb public by (one of) the most murderous regimes on earth to accept and want such horrific killer weapons --it's part of the normalization of evil via the brainwashing of the forever naive/dumb public.

    This inexcusable despicable conduct by the film's acclaimed director parallels the fact that dozens of Nobelists worked on the creation of the atomic bomb that proves that guilt and conscience never played a notable part in them.

    Oppenheimer’s guilt and conscience, too, was of no real significance as his actions in establishing the atomic bomb demonstrated.

    It shows the real fundamental condition and nature of “civilized” humans — they are inhumanely mad …. https://www.rolf-hefti.com/covid-19-coronavirus.html (which also explains WHY they are mad).

    "[...] I realized that the entire nuclear power program was based on a fraud—namely, that there was a “safe” amount of radiation, a permissible dose that wouldn’t hurt anybody." --- John W. Gofman, M.D., Ph.D., 1918-2007, Medical Physicist & Radiation Expert

    ReplyDelete