Sunday 18 June 2023

IceCream???

 


No, ice cream it is NOT

There's a new 'sensation' going round the keto, low carb diet sites at the moment.  Cottage cheese icecream.
The recipe is very simple with few ingredients. So, I thought I'd give it a try.  So you DON'T have to.

What's it got in it.
- A tub of cottage cheese
- some sort of sweetener.  I used stevia, but you could use honey, maple syrup
- some sort of fruit.  Strawberries, a banana.  You get the idea
- I used a tsp of sugar free cherry jelly crystals

Put it all into a mixer or blender and blend till  that lumpy cottage cheese turns smooth

Put it in the freezer for a few hours.  I divided mine into 3 small containers.

Thank goodness they were small.  You would NOT want to eat a large portion of this stuff.

Ice cream is supposed to be cold, creamy and sweet.  

I didn't put any fruit in but used a bit of vanilla powder to cut down on calories and carbs.
Ok, it was a frozen dessert.  But it wasn't sweet or creamy.
I should have put some alcohol in it. But all we've got is raki and ouzo 🤢

Don't bother unless you're on a very strict diet and are in desperate  need of something slightly reminiscent of a sugar shot.

I've just eaten the second container.  It had been in the freezer for 24 hours so was frozen solid.  Being me, and damn impatient I put it in the microwave for 20 seconds.  
Now that's another experience to write about.  The bottom of the container was hot and the cottage cheese had reverted to chewey cheese.   So I had hot,chewey cheese cherry icecream.  I really should have chucked it.  But NO.

So I've still got another small (65 gram) container of this 'stuff' in the freezer.  I'll let it defrost a little before I shovel it down.  Sometime.  For emergencies only.  I haven't eaten sweets, cakes, icecream for months and didn't need this.

Naturally I didn't stop there.  We have 2 x200 gram tubs of lactose free yoghurt in the fridge which is passed it's expiry date.  I made tzatziki with one tub.  Not a great success either.  We only bought lactose free because it was half the price of the other greek yoghurt.  You really do need full fat, strained greek yoghurt for the best tzatziki.

 I decided to experiment with the other tub.  You'd have thought I would have learnt my lesson with the cottage cheese.  But NO.
So into the mixer went the tub of lactose free, 2 vanilla powders, a tsp of cocoa powder and some stevia.  When I licked the spoon it tasted better than the cottage cheese but it's going to turn out the same, a hard as rocks, slightly sour, poor relation for ice cream.  I shan't put it in the microwave.  I'd probably get curds and whey.

I shan't experiment again.

Last summer when my little brother and family were here they found sugar free ice cream in the icecream parlour on the waterfront.  He does keto to control his diabetes. No sugar.  Now THAT was icecream!  Sugar free, probably full of fat, which is not a problem, icy and creamy.  I helped him  'get rid' of it.  Yum, yum eat it up.

I've kept away from the icecream parlour since then but ......




19 comments:

  1. Stick to the ice cream parlour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their sugar free is 100% better. I do like experimenting but it's often not worth the trouble

      Delete
  2. Ummm....no thanks.
    I eat the fat free Greek yogurt (but really prefer the fat stuff). Ice cream? Oof... well, if the weather is hot, give me the real deal please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like most things. If you're going to buy something, especially edibles, get the best and enjoy it

      Delete
  3. I hadn't heard of it but thanks for the warning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After reading this again I really wonder why I didn't just throw the rest out and not make the yoghurt stuff.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the recipe, which I WON´T try! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I want Ice Cream, I buy a tub from my supermarket. Anything with Lemon gets my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lemon is an icecream flavour I have never tried.
    Don't give me ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh Cro I’ll have to look for lemon as well although I’ve not seen it in the supermarket. Sounds like a trip to the ice cream shop 10 mins away…as well as plain Vanilla they have all sorts of flavours in those big tubs. Like Rum&Raisin, Liquorice, Mint Chocolate Chip!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liquorice? I'll put it on my down under list. After hokey pokey IceCream. A NZ classic

      Delete
  8. I just cannot imagine cottage cheese icecream or even trying it for that matter. The nicest one that is my favourite is a rum n raisin one by deep south, it is soooo good

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate cottage cheese and tge thought of an ice cream version gives me the ick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like cottage either. I really got carried away here. I've just thrown it all out. Even the cat won't eat it 🤣🤣🤣

      Delete
  10. Off the subject of Keto ice cream : my favorite you tube vlogger, Gabriel traveler, has just spent a few days on your island just riding a bicycle around the island. HIs video of the island was very interesting to see after following your blog that gives us insight to life there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will check him out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The cottage cheese ice cream sounds positively awful. I experiment and have good and bad results, but now we know! Haha

    ReplyDelete