Monday 22 May 2023

And Here We Go Again

Celebrations and jubilations

 Two name days and General Elections. Three more grand-children voted for the first time. 

Voters gave a victory to governing right wing New Democracy party but not enough to form a government. We will be back at the polls on June 25th.

We celebrated two Saints Days. Half the family is named after these two saints and I squeeze myself in there too. There's no Saint Linda. Not around here anyway. I pretend I'm a Lydia and the observe a name day along with my grand-daughter

20th May ...

Saint Lydia 

21st May ...

Saints Konstantine and Helena (Eleni) 



My present from my girls and family. A friendly Troll. Love him

K got a few bottles of ouzo and a new table for his laptop. We are both happy.

Daughter and grand-daughter were both baptised Eleni but we always call them by short forms of the name. As a name day present  I wanted to make hotcross buns for my daughter but they were a flop. The dough didn't rise so I chucked it. What a waste. Half a kilo of expensive bread flour, eggs and real butter.  I chucked my yeast as well. Can't think what else was the problem though it wasn't stale yeast.
I'll make more tomorrow. Thankfully I've still got half the flour and butter .

The family all came to say 'Kronia Polla'
Many happy returns
To their father.
He was happy as he'd been cooking all morning. 
Not too many leftovers. We will only be eating them for a couple of days instead of a week.
Its always a delight to see the family together. The girls are excellent at clearing up too. 
They're all revving up for end of year exams. 
Summer holidays begin towards the end of June. 
Monday 5 June is another long weekend. Pentecostal Monday or Monday of the Holy Spirit. 
11 June Invitation to the baptism of a neighbour's baby boy and reception at our local rural taverna.


My English friend came to celebrate with us so I had a good day chatting in my mother tongue. She's a member of the family now.
One of K's friend had a few too many ouzos and went to sleep at the table.  We've got used to him and just let him sleep on and clean up around him. He came with his daughter and grand-daughter who tried to take him home. He mumbled a refusal. 
An hour later he lifted his head and I suggested he at least go inside and sleep in an armchair. He decided he'd wobble off home. And wobble he did, onto his motorbike. Fortunately he only lives up the road. 
Life here is never without it's drama.



20 comments:

  1. Xronia polla to all who celebrate.
    I love the little troll. He’s adorable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. My garden is getting full of 'exotika'

      Delete
  2. Your days are beyond filled with laughter and love !
    Congratulations to your daughter and granddaughter's on their Baptism, may they be forever Blessed.
    I haven't made Hot Cross buns since living in the USA, seems like they are not too popular around these Southern parts :)
    When I was young and helped my grandma in her bakery, I was responsible for stamping the cross on top of each bun before going into the hot oven :) Great memories.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hotcross buns usually turn out fine. I hope the next lot are ok. I usually skip the crosses.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a great celebration all round. Happy whatever day comes next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer seems to have endless feasting and little fasting

      Delete
  4. I love the troll. B gave me some little gnomes to put in my garden and sit next to the roses. We are still able to buy hot cross buns here despite Easter being over and done with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few gnomes in the garden and I found some more at the garden shop. They're not v popular here, except with me!!
      That Troll is gorgeous

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you´re pretty busy and enjoying life...happy name day. Love the troll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 😀 so glad my kids found the Troll

      Delete
  6. Lots of celebration days for you there. hope the wobbly one got home ok. Love the troll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We phoned to make sure. We can't take his keys because it would cause a local scandal here and he refused our offer of a lift. Darn these stupid men

      Delete
  7. So much celebrating where you are! I think it would wear me out but I love the friend/family aspect of your life... always something going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't complain when it's family. They're all so much fun at get togethers . Love em all, naturally 😅

      Delete
  8. Your friend probably didn't have enough time to recover from his last skinful. With all these celebrations it doesn't surprise me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're dead right. On big name days like this you go from house to house wishing them all a long life and having a drink, or 2 or 3 at each place.

      Delete
  9. Motorcycle Man sounds a character.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chronia polla K, and Chronis polla to you too.
    And it sounds like you have had a really happy few days and lots of really lovely people around. Interesting result in the election. Mr B had told me and I really must do some more reading of news.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great celebration. I am envious.

    ReplyDelete