Tuesday 28 March 2023

Cateracts

Now I can see you
But I can't damn read. 
 I'm writing this with blurry eyeballs. 


Left eye done


And the other one bites the dust

Hurray, I can read the subtitles on tv without glasses, which I've worn since I was 14 years old.  But suddenly I can't read close-up. I've become a long distance reader.  I've got the tablet held at arms length with the letters enlarged right out to the side of the page.  I cannot read small print which previously seemed so clear and sharp.
My eyes are still blurry from all the eye drops today but I can see I'll need reading glasses. 
We have to return in 2 days for a checkup so I will ask the doc what's what. 

It was a good day even if I did have to get up at 5.30am to get to the hospital on time. 
There were another 8 people waiting for cataract ops today. All from villages around Nafplio, the closest big city with a hospital which has a doctor who lazers your cataracts. 
We learnt the medical history of just about all  of them while seated in the corridor on hard plastic chairs. They all had medical stories to tell. Then in hushed tones we found out just how much each was putting in a plain white envelope to grease the  path to the operating room.
It was a little social circle. We all got a cheery 'Good luck' as we were moved out in our surgery robes up to the next floor. 

A few of the men had even visited NZ, in the merchant navy I presume. There was a bit of talk about Rotorua, bungy jumping and NZ lamb. That took the conversation off to lambs in general and who was slaughtering their own lamb or goat for Pasca (Easter) and who was buying and from where. K made a few notes on recommeneded butcher's shops. 
 
Two elderly men got high blood pressure on the operating table and had to be moved to the emergency room. To my surprise my last few visits to doctors and hospitals have not resulted in high blood pressure. I used to suffer from 'white jacket syndrome' and have my blood pressure go through the roof.  Lately it has stayed  very normal during medical visits.  Have I learnt to relax or what the heck?

I surreptitiously handed over a plain white envelope with the Doc's reward. It disappeared into his pocket so fast that  K didn't notice and kept on making signs to me because he was worried I'd forgotten. Even the doctor caught on and told him to calm down, that all was well. He was a very happy camper, amiable and attentive. Money well spent at this free public hospital. The system works.

We brought a box of sticky cakes for the nurse and the operating staff.  Obviously we did the right thing. Everyone else was carrying a bag with a box of cakes too. 

I had blood tests and a cardiogram done last week in preparation for this and everything was hunky dory. My meat, fish, butter, eggs and cheese diet is keeping me healthy and fit.  All levels, sugar, cholesterol and all that stuff are exactly where they should be. 

I don't think I'll be writing emails or commenting on blogs for awhile until I get my near-sight sorted. 

I'll give the big computer a try in a few days. Maybe things will be clearer on the big screen. 
Meantime I have to sit quietly in a chair for some days and do bugger all. 

At least the  television screen is sharp and  from my armchair the view of the olive groves climbing up to the sanctuary of Poseidon is clearly visible with my new eyes.










 

28 comments:

  1. Hope you heal very quickly and are soon bouncing back into Blogland with us.
    You look great in those photos by the way x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JC. I really hate not being able to see close up and read.

      Delete
  2. Wishing you a very speedy recovery and improved vision Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a few days everything will 'look' much better. Hubby had both his eyes done and is so happy with the results but he has to use reading glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy not to wear glasses anymore. Reading glasses won't be a burden, I hope

      Delete
  4. It should get better shortly. I still wear progressive glasses but things are much clearer since having mine done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother hasn't mentioned it in a while so i assume it all came right. I would like to think I carried on being able to read without glasses but who am I to know. It seems that cataract operations change things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I didn't realise that there would be a change. The doctor told me today I can get reading glasses at the end of April.

      Delete
  6. At an eye check here recently the optician said he'd seen cataract surgery and it took 6 minutes! That would scare me and blood pressure would rocket. With so many sticky cakes those nurses are going to have blood pressure problems too. All the best for a rapid and complete recovery. Enjoy the long sight; reading only glasses ain't so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the thought of reading glasses. I'm so happy that I don't have to wear the others anymore.
      The surgery is very quick. More time is taken up putting in drops

      Delete
  7. What a journey! Thankful now all you have to do is rest and recuperate.
    I wonder if it’s the eye drops making it blurry.
    A visit to an optometrist will clear things up.
    I now wear glasses all the time. Mine are for close and far sight.
    It is what it is I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely the eyedrops. They're going in 16 times a day for the first week! Saw the doctor again today and he's happy with the results.

      Delete
  8. Well done, I wish you a speedy recovery...remember - no bending down, no cooking, no lifting heavy things and you´ll be good to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooof, it doesn't sound a lot... But, not bending down is a nuisance. Every time I drop something I have to yell for help. And I keep on seeing crumbs on the darn floor. Hate it

      Delete
  9. Hopefully your eyesight will improve as it heals. I will need this operation before too long and I am rather terrified. Anything to do with eyes but I'll do what I need. I hope you get to see better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very very simple. Does not hurt at all and is over in 10 minutes max! And such a huge difference. Go for it!!

      Delete
  10. Sending healing thoughts and wishes your way dear friend, hopefully just a little more time is needed.
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just need patience. Everything's fine apparently. I'll get reading glasses and I'll be set. Thanks!

      Delete
  11. I wish you a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Pirate had his done a few years ago.
    The first things he noticed were depth in clouds and all sorts of greens and details in fields and trees!
    A potter friend gave advice to other potters...your glazes will appear garish.... don't change them until your eyes have settled down!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I have to be patient and wait but it's so difficult reading

      Delete
  13. An interesting read on Greek health system. I do wish you a quick recovery and happy reading again. My husband is having one of his eyes done next month and my turn will come eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to him. It's a simple op but being careful for a month afterwards is the hard part

      Delete
  14. I'm the same with reading close up, I can't anymore and need reading glasses, hope your eyes heal up perfectly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason all your comments go into the spam folder. Don't know why they're picking on you!
      I might go down to the chemist on Monday and try on a couple of pairs of reading glasses and find a pair to help.

      Delete