Friday 24 June 2022

Today and Yesterday

The heat wave is over till next time.  It wasn't too bad.  Two days of sweat.  This morning I was woken by a cool breeze and it's still blowing the curtains this evening.  Yesterday we had the fan going full blast in the bedroom for our siesta.  It was a slippery, steamy hour till we gave up and shuffled out to the terrace for an hour of a zombi like slump.  It took quite an effort to rise from my torpor long enough to make 2 glasses of very cold coffee.  


I make ice-cubes from strong filter coffee made in the cafetière.  And this year we have a frappé machine which instantly whips up the coffee, water and sugar into a few inches of coffee cream.  Almost as good as  our barista (local yokel) makes down at the cafe.

K was given the frappé  machine when one of the cafeterias revamped.  It sits on our bench, a big old thing but a quick buzz is all it needs.  

I really shouldn't write about this economic depression at all.  There are so many things we have to be thankful for.  


Lunch yesterday was a macaroni salad, mediterranean style.  I retrieved a block of tomato sauce from the freezer. It was made from last year's tomatoes with oregano, mint and basil and chopped capsicum. That defrosted almost instantly in the heat of the kitchen. I mixed that into the macaroni twists with chopped fresh tomato and cucumber. It would have been fine just like that but I mixed in a tin of tuna too. Overkill. Simple  is better. A piece of bread and a glass of water. We ate it outside where it was slightly cooler, though cool is not a word I would have used yesterday .


Outside in the road a water pipe had burst. Burst over a week ago. The entrance to next doors property was a sea of mud, the road had turned a slimy green. K had phoned and raised his voice to our local councillor, a friend who works for the municipality, a plumber who does work for the council and half a dozen others. So had all our neighbours. Well they finally came yesterday, dug up the road and I presume changed a pipe. The water was bubbling out of the tarseal like a fountain. Naturally they plugged their extension cord into our power plug. Could hardly say 'no'. 

The water boys are over worked rushing from one broken pipe to another.  That was a lot of water lost though through the long wait for repairs.


K also sorted out our phone bill. He doesn't raise his voice to the phone people because they record the conversation.

We have been receiving a double bill since February because when we replaced our router they said they'd never received back the old router and billed us for it . Finally two days ago they cut off our phone. 

We could only make emergency calls. That's the home phone, which we hardly use.

K thought it had been sorted by a previous call two months ago. Well, it's sorted now. They turned the phone back on an hour later and now I'm waiting to see when they take the extra 60 euros off our bill 

All our bills are online now and we have an app for most of them so we can see immediately what's happening.


K today changed over our washing machine. We inherited one from a cousin that died two years ago. The house has been very slowly emptied. The nephews who inherited it are selling it finally.  The washing machine is virtually new. Nothing like the 30 year old one the K had fixed and was  going to last  forever. This one is digital woohoo. And it has a 15 minute programme. How's that for economy. The shortest programme on the old washer was one and a half hours.

Today we picked up our monthly medicine. I take one capsule for atrial fibrillation. It's subsidised thank goodness but has increased in price. Used to cost 9 euros but is now 19. But the full cost is 69euros. Can't complain there. There's a huge difference between 19 and 69.

A couple of months ago we got a petrol subsidy of 50 euros. Not much but every little helps. Now we are waiting to see if we can get an electricity handout.  


Nope. Can't complain. Actually I can complain and do complain. I'm human. But I shouldn't.







22 comments:

  1. Sounds like life is the same all over. I returned my old Sky satellite equipment yesterday and was advised to keep the receipt of postage for 90 days amid threats of charging me for non-return. I am hoping not to have to go down the route of phone calls to prove I did return it. (I still have Sky via internet instead of Satellite).

    As for food and light and cooking, I keep it to the minimum of enjoyment and the BBQ is cheap to burn and cook my favourite fish and meat and all I hope for is good summer weather and simple delights. It is not too difficult and we have to get used to it, probably in Britain for years to come which might surprise many but they should think along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That long economic crisis changed our way of living and helped us to get used to cutting down and simplifying our lives here. It also got us into the electronic age. I like all these apps. We can check up on bills, our bank account in an instant .
      Keeping it simple is keeping me sane. I'd throw out that frappé machine if I could but it's Ks little toy at the moment. BBQs are great for cooking except when it's too darn hot..

      Delete
  2. Well done on the new washing machine. We had to buy a new one when we moved house and, although not cheap, it is brilliant. It also has a 15 minute cycle. So much better than my 25 year old one we left behind.
    I have to take daily thyroxine so all my medication now comes free of charge as it is a necessity. We are lucky here with the NHS.
    Good luck with the phone bill refund.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were very lucky with that washing machine. K is , was, the only islands washing machine expert so as I've mentioned before we often have few hanging around. This is the best yet. I hope it lasts as long as the other, though that's not likely. New fangled tech.

      Delete
  3. As Rachel said the situation is similar everywhere. It is certainly interesting to read about the situation elsewhere. Here they say "the trouble of the many is half consolation."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Yael. I know most people have the similar problems now.. it really is interesting to read how others cope

      Delete
  4. I complain in Summer too with the humidity but I'm hoping now that we are in the South Island we will get less of it. We also try to have lots of salads and iced coffee will definitely be a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you love your iced coffee. Get a frappé machine!! Waiting to hear about that southern winter! I much prefer the cold

      Delete
    2. So far it's been cold but not as cold as I thought it would be, it's more a dry cold whereas up north it's a damp cold, think I'll look into that Frappe machine.

      Delete
  5. Good on K for getting things done
    When we have to ring anyone to get something fixed it still takes ages and you get the old runaround on the phone being switched from one section to another.
    Years ago four houses had their numbers all mixed up. Our was one. It was a Friday afternoon and by the time everyone rang they said they were finishing and would fix it Monday
    Well this little ethnic girl wasn’t having that. I got on the phone told them that I was running a business and I’d sue them for lost jobs. It was fixed less than an hour later.
    Don’t mess with an ethnic woman we raw like lions lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you Greek people do know how to roar. K can roar with great politeness and even greater insistence. He once phoned the phone co. 3 times a day for 3 days till he got results. We had a technician out here on the 4th.
      You're good people to have around

      Delete
  6. I think we all complain, just our way of venting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes we have to talk/write about what’s uppermost in our mind. Putting at the back just means stewing about it.
    I’ve sort of give up on complaining to The Golfer when bills come in or I get home from shopping….just buy less or not at all. “But where’s my xxxxx” he says - go buy it yourself, you make the decision whether (when you see the price) whether you you really need it, I say.
    Good luck with your washer…lucky you to have ‘a little man’ so close to home😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get lectures on how to economise and hardly bother complaining to my husband either. Wouldn't dare tell him where to pull his horns in!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like Life has been rather too exciting at your place lately! Hope things calm down (and cool down) so you can enjoy your summertime.
    Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as we don't have too many heatwaves summer will be fine. 2 months of heat...that's all

      Delete
  9. We had people here last year fiddling about with the water pipes. One of the men told me that 40% of the pumped water disappears through small leaks, and they only ever bother to repair the big leaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are in the rural part of the island so there wasn't any rush. Only three houses are affected and water pressure was still ok. It's only husband's numerous phone calls that get action. 40%, that's a huge amount!!

      Delete
  10. In my blog, articles related to are mainly written, and they are usually.
    ភ្នាល់បាល់

    ReplyDelete
  11. The short wash cycles washing machines are a great time and energy saving invention. I just wish they could make silent ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to bring you some produce at city prices. Seems crazy that we can buy cherries at 1.5/kg, apricots & peaches at 1/kg, lettuces for 50c (and on and on) and people on near islands can't get the same deal. Today i got tomatoes at 50c/kg and bottled 4kg. And all this is delivered to our neighbourhood in small vans and trucks by small independent traders and growers - it should be really expensive, no economies of scale. The Armenian cucumbers made a reappearance today...so its cucs and melitzaniasalata tonight.

    ReplyDelete