Monday 18 April 2022

What's Up. Bombay Duck and More

It's Holy week leading up to Orthodox Good Friday, the candlelight parade, Saturday midnight mass and soup made from sheep's guts (to put it literally) and then on Sunday the huge celebration of the resurrection with spit roasting of lambs, or a goat in our case, drinking, dancing and cracking of red eggs.


K will not be eating fish or meat this week but has decided he will eat cheese, but not eggs.  A moderated fast.  Unusual for him.  However, on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday he will follow the strict rules with no dairy or olive oil either.  Today he's having spaghetti with a tomato sauce, grated cheese on top, greek salad and taramasalata which is made from fish roe.


This morning he phoned the pharmacy and we have an appointment for our 4th virus shot.  We'll be getting the vaccination Tuesday after Easter. 


Prices are rising but  not enough to cause panic and there is no panic buying in the supermarket.   Everyone is simply checking the price of goat and offal and the cost of a lettuce for the weekend celebrations.  Lettuce is one of the main ingredients in the soup that we eat at midnight on Saturday.  It's 50cents a lettuce or thereabouts which is fine.  Freezing weather affected lettuces for a while but that was ages ago.


Lamb and goat meat has risen from last  years price of around 9 euros  per kilo to 12 euros and is expected to rise to at least 15 euros a kilo.   I haven't checked petrol prices.  We put 20 euros of petrol in the car and it lasts a week or more for our shopping trips.  Otherwise K goes out on his motorbike which is much cheaper to run.  As long as there are no more trips into the city for hospital appointments petrol is not a problem.


There has been a price rise for vegetable oils, sugar and flour. There were limits on what you could buy in the Athens supermarkets but here prices aren't that more expensive and there is no shortage.  The big German supermarket Lidl has had massive fines for unnecessary price rises.


  I have stocked up on noodles.  I read in an online NZ paper that their instant noodles come from the Ukraine and there will be a big shortage soon.  Instant noodles are the only taste of Asian cuisine that are available to me so I bought the last 6 packets in our supermarket.  I hope they've been able to re-stock.  I will stock pile a dozen or so packets of noodles, noodles with spicy shrimp, noodles with wild mushrooms, noodles with oriental chicken flavour or asian spicy pork.  They all taste more or less the same but I pretend I'm eating won ton from the Pearl of the East or bombay duck from an authentic noodle bar. Dream on  


Souvlaki has gone up in the last 2 years from 2 euros for pita bread wrapped around gyro with lashings of tzatziki, tomato, sliced onion and fried potatoes to 2.20, then 2.50, now to 3 euros and it will be 4 euros by the summer,  It's still a cheap meal in your hand.  I haven't had a souvlaki for almost a year but the grandkids eat them now and again.  Its the most popular fast food.  


Winter has suddenly re-appeared.  The last two days have been cold and wet.  I had cleaned up the fireplace and taken up the small rugs.  Fortunately we bought a last load of wood a few weeks ago so we had a supply for the beginning of next winter.  Yesterday we lit the fire and again today.  Weather clearing from Wednesday, so they say.

It's a nasty red rain covering us with a layer of Saharan dust which has turned into sticky mess.  I had just cleaned the last lot off the car.  Now I'll have to do it all over again, when the sun shines.


I have been following a series on TV presented by actors Timothy West and Prunella Scales.  Really interesting and their accents and english manners are charming.  First of all they were in a narrowboat cruising England's canals, then the Broads.  They popped over to cruise the French canals, taking  time to sample local wines, onto the River Douro in Portugal where they supped marvellous Port (wine) then to Italy where they sailed into Milan.  I have an idea they were going to South America but missed today's episode.   On Sunday I watched Timothy West playing a Vicar in a Hercule Poirot mystery.  He made an excellent Vicar.


On Youtube I'm watching an Australian series called The Extraordinary.  They are true life tales and supernatural experiences.  Right up my alley.  Thank goodness its raining today and I can sit and enjoy a good show, even if it is on the small screen.


















14 comments:

  1. We have just bought some freshly slaughtered goat meat at our local Farmers Market. It cost £7.50 for 350g. Not cheap.
    It is a shame about Prunella Scales and her dementia. The final few episodes of their travels were quite sad for me to watch.
    Enjoy your sheep's guts soup 😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn I didn't know that about Prunella. She was a wonderful actress and they present such a loving couple.
      We don't eat lamb much. I shall enjoy the Easter lamb especially as this year we are not paying for it

      Delete
  2. Great Canal Journeys. I watched them all. Prunella played a brilliant Sybil character in Fawlty Towers. I bought two goats last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fawlty Towers was brilliant. A classic English comedy.
      Two goats? As lawnmowers? Or to adorn your shelves

      Delete
    2. Great idea!! You can milk them too and make cheese 😄

      Delete
  3. I haven't noticed particular prices rising here, but I do notice if my weekly shopping bill is higher or lower that the previous week. Luckily it seems to stay roughly the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The price of electricity has risen dramatically but the other prices rises are in cents, so far. I noticed just now that flour has gone up by 20c a kilo.

      Delete
  4. I think prices are rising everywhere, dairy products here are going up and up, it's crazy. You're gonna have to take photos of the sheeps guts cooked so I can see how it looks and tastes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take photos for you. I'll be making the soup Saturday afternoon, and cutting up guts. That's the yucky part.

      Delete
  5. Prices here have gone sky hight. Apparently more and more people are accessing charity and getting food from food banks
    It’s actually a little scary. They are predicting home loan rates are going to go up this year as well. So all those young families are really going to have to learn to budget and cutting down to make ends meet
    Me. Well I’ll plant more veggie gardens and hopefully soon my chickens will start to lay
    That way I’ll be able to help my kids Not much else we can do

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a ‘freezer turnout’ at Christmas- found 2 half legs of lamb that definitely needed eating. Entertainment for The Golfer using the new Weber bbq - they turned out great. Nearly had a heart attack when I looked in the butcher’s to stock up….don’t think we’ll be having lamb for a while.
    ps - enjoyed your rambling ‘thinking out loud’ post

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son agrees with you! He says the noodles (which he often eats for lunch) do all taste the same; so far he hasn't noticed any shortage of them but had heard there might be.
    I'm glad you mentioned the Sahara rain - now I understand what Tigger was talking about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely newsy post, think prices have gone up a little here, petrol seems to have gone up the most, but then the Govt reduced their petrol tax (for a while and after NZ did) by 20 cents...it will go back up again at some stage.

    ReplyDelete