Friday 10 September 2021

Home News

 


 September now and there is a noticeable drop in temperature.  Hurrah.  The next two months will be quiet-er and cool-er.



Not many around here have picked their grapes yet.  The harvest seems to be later this year despite the heat waves, one after another this summer.

The serious wine growers have plenty of healthy grapes to pick.  Unlike us.  This is more or less the extent of our grapes this year.  There are a few more bunches but mostly they have shrivelled on the vine...........



.......... and turned into raisins


An iced coffee with a paper straw.  Here you can buy a coffee and can still be drinking it 2 hours later.  A paper straw is not a good idea.  The bottom half, which sits in the coffee, starts to dissolve.
I drink my coffee quickly but traditional greeks do not.  There's a lot of blah, blah, blah inbetween each sip.  Coffee sessions are usually drawn out debates




Thanks to my cousin Ch who sent me a parcel of NZ Listeners and newspapers.  The Listener is basically a TV guide but that brief description does it an injustice.  It is a magazine to inform and entertain.  I read everything from the letters to the editor, current events , sports, book reviews, well informed articles on everything under the sun and the best crosswords and puzzles which make me scratch my head and think.


This puzzle, puzzler is my absolute favourite.  He gives you one letter and you have to solve it from there.  He's being doing these puzzles for donkey's years.  Last time I was in NZ, 2006, I found a book of them and brought it back.  I do the puzzles in pencil, rub them out and do them again, after a few years when hopefully I've forgotten the solution.

Thanks Cuz







19 comments:

  1. A 2 hour coffee??? I am lucky if mine lasts 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! Hot coffee cools down. You need to drink it quickly. Totally different culture

      Delete
  2. I must buy a Listener. I have several friends who get it delivered. Will get one and try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents always bought it and I enjoyed it back then too. Kiwi culture

      Delete
  3. My Mum loved those letter code puzzles too. It was part of her morning routine to lean on the kitchen bench and do the one in the morning newspaper. The first word id the key isn't it. Shame about your grapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago we got loads of grapes, fed the neighbours and I even tried making wine. The last 5 years there have been very few. Maybe I,m looking after them too well. They dont need compost or the water in the sumer. Or they need chemicals!

      Delete
  4. Shame about the grapes. I haven't seen a Listener for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I even enjoy the short description of the movies and series. I'll read anything, almost, if its english

      Delete
  5. My grapes are ripening, and no shortage. I only have one pukka black eating grape, which is a Black Hamburg. The grapes all seem to ripen at different times, so that one can't pick a completely ripe bunch. I'm leaving them longer this year to see if eventually they all come together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had quite a few bunches which were half n half, left them and they all turned into raisins. Good luck with yours

      Delete
  6. What a shame about the grapes. I hate those paper straws. I get the environmental thing but after a few minutes in your drink they become soggy and gross.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paper straws are a bad idea. They'll just have to get used to drinking straight from the glass, they're all cleaned with boiling water in a dish washer anyway

      Delete
  7. You should do a bulk order of metal drinking straws and sell them to the locals. They would be great for long afternoons drinking your frappe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen metal straws on sale here with a tiny brush to clean them. I cant recall the price. I dislike straws for some reason and am quite happy without them.

      Delete
  8. Great photos. Coffee is much nicer than tea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a huge iced coffee fan. As you are entering Autumn we are going into Spring, I am not looking forward to another Summer but iced coffees are something that I will be regularly ordering.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're what we call Codewords. I love them and subscribe to a monthly codeword magazine. I do about three puzzles a day, sometimes more and always start my day with one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely thing for your cousin to send to you. I love puzzles too.

    ReplyDelete