Monday 10 May 2021

Out in Nature

 


My blue hydrangea is thriving in it's new clay pot.  The colour is getting darker and darker.  Almost purple





I think these are called medlars in english.  In greek they are mousmoula.  This tree is away down the road and I often pass it on my walks.  The house is empty and will be till July or August when the people come from Athens for their summer holidays.  I would go and pick the fruit but I'd have to scramble over a fence and down some uneven steps.  I'm not doing that.  Pity.  I saw some in the shops today.  3 euro a punnet


My last year's birthday present, thanks kids.  It is finally in the garden.  That's a small basil plant, in the planter


And here's another one for you gardeners.  What is the name of this tree?  I should know it.  I'm sure my father had one in our garden many, many years ago.  The flowers smell delightful

20 comments:

  1. Love your hydrangea. Also your pot with basil, just fun to get one's goodies out and use them in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden is looking clean and colourful at the moment.

      Delete
  2. The hydrangea looks nice against the red flower geranium?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the red flower is geranium. Nice contrast

      Delete
  3. The pic is quite small but I think the orange coloured fruit is a loquat not medlar which is entirely different. I live in Spain and have a loquat in the garden. We use them to make marmalade. Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like a loquat but it's much smaller. It's the Mediterranean medlar. Slightly different. Big pips little flesh. My s in law googled and found a photo of them all. Some of the medlars look very much like a loquat.

      Delete
  4. Is that last one a Jasmine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not it's not jasmine JC. We have a lot of those around, one in our back yard. Similar scent

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. China berry. That sound familiar. I shall Google. Thanks

      Delete
  6. I have never seen the point of Medlars, however, I did go to the only tree I know to gather a few this last winter, only to find that the tree had gone. It had been grafted onto a Hawthorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's not much flesh on the fruit but they're great if you can find a tree and get free fruit. The pips grow very easily here. You could easily grow a forest of them

      Delete
  7. Your birthday planter pot is gorgeous. He would look good nestled into a corner of my garden :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't he cute. It looks great in My garden!!!

      Delete
  8. Nice to see some parsley in the turtle pot, I just planted some parsley, sage and thyme in one of our little gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love herbs. There are pots of them all over the garden. They seem to thrive where other plants don't

      Delete
  9. Your hydrangea looks great and the turtle planter is cute. That last mystery plant is a nice looking plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hydrangea is still looking good. I hope it lasts a while

      Delete
  10. Mousmela is loquat in English. F seems to quite like them. We love (really love) the blue of your hydrangea. We have never been able to get ours to stay blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that hydrangea changes colour. But it's very pleasing to the eye just now

      Delete