Thursday 24 January 2019

Greek Freaks

Giannis Antetokounmpo and Stefanos Tsitsipas are the heroes of the greek athletic world at the moment.  

Antetokounmpo is born in Athens, the son of Nigerian immigrants.  At almost 7feet tall he became, naturally, a professional basketball player and is currently with the Milwaukee Bucks.  He is the first player in NBA history to ....... points, rebounds, assists, bla-bla-bla.  Most sports announcers have managed to get his name right during broadcasts, even I eventually got it roll off my tongue, but he is widely known as the 'Greek Freak' .




Tsitsipas is our up and coming greek tennis star.  He beat Federer in the quarter finals of the Australian open and right now most of greece is glued to tv or radio listening to his semi-final match with Rafael Nadal.  Tsitsipas has also been labelled by the Australian press as the 'Greek Freak' or should it be 'freek'?



Stefanos Tsitsipas 
( ts - think ch
Chichipas...easier?)
Youngest player ranked in the top 20
Born in Athens, greek father, Russian mother




Raffa - pronounced 'cute'
Born in the Balearic Islands
Plays left-handed, born right-handed





Tsitsipas  lost the 1st set
Lost the 2nd set
Lost the 3rd set

Oh well

We'll be hearing more of this guy
Wimbleon, American whatever, French Open here we come










11 comments:

  1. I never know what to expect, from your title! Grinnn... OK, that what you mean by "Greek Freaks"... ,-)

    Enjoy!!!

    ✨✨✨✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He lost but the final will be a terrific game between two top stars

      Delete
  2. Since here in Melbourne we have the larger Greek population outside of Greece. He has been well supported.
    So sad he lost. But like you said. He is an up and coming young gun and I’m sure we will see more of him.
    It’s so hot here right now. He probably is happy he doesn’t have to play out there.
    Ellada xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter said the TV showed Greeks entering the court making a lot of noise as they usually do. Many supporters down there!!!

      Delete
  3. Rafa Nadal is a tennis machine. One of the all time greats; pity I'm not a tennis fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's one of the greats and makes the loudest grunting noise ive ever heard
      With every hit of the ball.

      Delete
  4. I had heard that he won but not the result where he lost. What a pity. Hopefully next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a huge tennis fan and watch all the matches that I can. He did an amazing job against Federer but came up short against Nadal. Nadal is my all time favourite so I'm afraid I was rooting for him, I hope he takes the trphy at the end. I don't know how they play in that heat down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Nadal is my favourite too .It's going to be a great and sweaty final

      Delete
  6. oh now i understand what you mean by geek freaks lol

    ReplyDelete