Wednesday 11 October 2017

Hot Peppers

Most of the garden is dry and brown.  Lettuces, roka and a few herbs will be going into the vegetable plot in the next few days.


A pot of red peppers.  I was sure these were just ornamental.  How to find out?  Bite into one.  My lips are still smarting.  We'll have fresh red hot chili peppers for our bean soup this winter.




This white bougainvillia always flowers at the very end of the summer.  All during the fierce heat the plant is a glorious green but no flowers.  It is in full bloom right now.  A magnificence of white 'snowballs'.


 The full moon this month didn't keep the fish from biting.  Our fisherman fed neighbours, friends and family with his catch-es.  Lots of tuna but also a variety of other good eating fish, baked, fried or marinated.


8 comments:

  1. The frost killed my bougainvilleas. So I haven’t replanted any
    Yours looks magnificent
    Fresh fish. Yummy. I don’t put chilies in my fasolatha. But I do have not chillies flakes for whoever wants them lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We put in just enough hot red pepper to give it a zing without burning. In the north they use a chili powder called bukova. It's only recently started to get popular further south

      Delete
  2. My chillis are already dried and made into 'flakes'. I always think the smaller they are, the hotter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These ones burn! I suppose I'll have to dry and flake them too.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know there was a white bougainvillea. The only ones I have seen are red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most bougainvillias are a shade of purple and pink, or red. One of our neighbours has an orangey one

      Delete
  4. The bougainvilla looks incredible, it's beautiful! The fishes look very yummy too! We don't do well with hot peppers here, the tummy rebels!lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. bougainvillias are beautiful. they also have very long, hard sharp thorns. we used to have a pink one as well.we were constantly under attack from the darn thing so it got chopped down, and got its revenge by gauging out great chunks of skin as we removed the branches

      Delete