Saturday 15 July 2017

Health in the wop wops

K and I went for a scan the other day across on the village of Galatas.  A private doctor.  We got an appointment for two days later, in the afternoon, so we could avoid the worst of the heat.  

Waiting time at the surgery -  5 minutes
Cost of  a full scan - 10 euros
Cost of 2 tickets on the ferry boat - 2 euros

Coming back on the car ferry I tripped and fell.  Thankfully I landed on my knees and didn't make too much of a spectacle of myself.   After being hauled back up again  I discovered to my astonishment (complete bewilderment) that one of my fingers  was bent way out of place.



Later I was so annoyed I did not take a photo .  In fact I couldn't stop looking at the darn finger.  How could it be bent to such a bizarre angle?  Photos were not not on my mind at that moment.      I've 'done a Rachel' and attempted to show it in a drawing.


The car ferry hadn't sailed at this point so we quickly disembarked and five minutes later I was at the Local (Regional) Health Centre.

There is always a doctor on duty whatever the time of day or night.  On a Friday evening there were no other patients and the Doctor saw me immediately.    

The nice young man took the finger and pulled.  30 seconds of  acute pain and I heard something click into place.  Obviously not broken but I'll have the finger strapped up for three weeks while the tendons/sinew/tissues, whatever is inside, take time to heal.



All nice and neat and on the way to recovery

Time waiting for treatment - 0 minutes
Cost - 0 euros

No complaints about the health system on this Greek island.  We do have national insurance (social security) but as far as I know even tourists coming here for first aid pay nothing.

The doctor advised me to come back on Monday for an x-ray. 

Cost of the x-ray - will be 0 euros
On a Monday morning I will probably have to wait an hour to have the x-ray and another hour to show it to the doctor.

The Centre will be full of patients from Galatas, Poros and outlying villages so while I'm waiting I'll learn all the latest gossip, good advice on goats, tomatoes and predicitons for this years olive crop.  I'll also end up being related to two or three of them.  The oldies always ask who/where/what and are keenly interested in all your most personal details.

We are lucky to have such good care round the clock.  For more serious cases  emergency treatment is given and an ambulance takes the patient to the nearest hospital, just over an hour way.

There were about ten stray dogs outside the Centre, very tame dogs.  They are well looked after by the staff and neighbours.  I didn't take a photo of the dogs either.











20 comments:

  1. The falling thing is something I remember well about my grandma, always tripping over nothing. Sadly I've followed in her footsteps, and seem to be as clumsy as a new-born giraffe. It's good that they were about to coax your joint back into position, otherwise..... I hope it heals nicely.
    So who exactly pays for the health care in Greece, someone has to pick up the tab ?
    Happy healing !
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we have been paying into our health Care system for the past 40 years and that's true for most. Every month a certain amount is taken out of your salary.
      Athens is in a much worse state. Long queues, appointments have to be made months in advance. Local hospital are closing but we still have two within 2 hrs driving. The health centre is basic but good for getting prescriptions written out and emergency treatment

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness that sounds horrendous. Thank goodness for your healthcare system. Ours is free,but not as prompt as yours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Athens is a different story and all big cities. Long waiting times and you wait ages for appointments.

      Delete
  3. Often the way just when you are thinking what a good person you have been; in your case having a scan (what for I cannot think) and then something like the trip happens. I approve of the drawings, no better way than to illustrate a post /something than do it yourself, none of this googling lark on my blog. You sound like you have a pretty good health service. I hurt my knee and went for a private xray rather than wait for the NHS; same day, instant results, but it cost about 30 euros. These facilities are available here but many people don't realise or are too pig-headed to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scan was for gallstones. I'll have to get them taken out sometime damnit.
      3o euros is not bad. Worth paying a little to avoid the hassle and the waiting. To have a scan at a public clinic would have meant a long wait and a long drive to and from.
      Glad you like my drawings. I'm not exactly a talented artist!!

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of the drawing :), i shall try it too.
    Good to know that you have such a good healthcare sistem there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Healthcare is fine for us. A lot of people complain about it here in Greece but we have had good treatment, even free cancer treatment.

      Delete
  5. Love the chemists in Greece!. Can get whatever you need!. My sis had a horrid ear infection after swimming, was dizzy n sick!. Pharmacist was able to give her antibiotic ear drops she was better in a day!. In Nov I had 5 hours to catch a flight was having horrendous diarrhoea,vomiting they would have not let me on the flight!. Pharmacist gave me anti sickness n immediate tabs to stop diarrhoea, ok not best idea as traps infection, but let me get home!.
    Here I would need a doctors appointment, hospital visit to get a prescription!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chemists do try and help where they can but it is harder now to get serious drugs, antibiotics say, over the counter.

      Delete
  6. How can you say you're not a talented artist? You're far better than me at it which doesn't take a lot of doing! Don't ever get a job as a tattoo artist though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a good thing you're right handed, otherwise we wouldn't have been treated to your art work. Hope you heal quickly. OUCH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it's the left hand and I'm left handed. I did manage to hold a pencil briefly....that dog/donkey was one of my 'best'. Don't think art is my forte

      Delete
  8. I like how you described it as "done a Rachel". Now I'm tempted to try an illustration or two. The finger thing made me feel a bit queasy (could NEVER have been a nurse!) but awfully glad it was put right without too much trouble. We (Canada) have a pretty good health care system as far as the world is concerned, but what people don't know is the very long waits we have to get appointments or procedures done. -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just amazed a finger could end up at that angle. Was very thankful when it was pointing in the right direction again..
      My drawing is childlike but you get the picture lol

      Delete
  9. OUCH Linda! wow that looks painful. I hope it heals well. There is some thing to be said for government run health care it stops the little man being ripped off by insurance people and hospitals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it sounds great but it is very basic. We go private for a lot of things but the hospitals near us are efficient.
      We went today and had the finger xrayed to see exactly what damage is done. We got the xray done but didn't see the doctor because there was one emergency after another. We'll take that to our local doc and pay 20 euros.

      Delete
  10. Hope it's all better now. Rest and take it easy xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!! I'am glad to read the whole content of this blog and am very excited.Thank you.
    ตารางบอล

    ReplyDelete