Sunday, 23 August 2026

Cruising the Med

 We finally managed to make a date with Jan, to cruise on the good ship Socrates and meet at Fotini's taverna beside the sea on the opposite shore. Captain, and son-in-law, Kyriakos and the Socrates do this trip 5 times a day all during August.   But, some trips were cancelled because of high winds and rough seas, then the Socrates was out of action for a couple of days because of mechanical trouble.  Then there was the heat.  Cruising and dining, just moving, during a heatwave is not pleasant. 

I hadn't seen Jan for a month or so.  First because of a couple of  heatwaves and 2nd because she's awfully busy looking after stray animals and humans.  

This cruise and meeting at Fotini's taverna has become a summer tradition


Kyriakos jumping for joy at seeing his inlaws


Readying the water taxi for his mother-in-law
He pulled that boat right into the dock and kept it absolutely steady till I managed to clamber up through the entrance way,  and step safely down.  He wouldn't have dared otherwise!! 


Sailing along the waterfront
 I really enjoy this mini cruise every year


Out of the harbour and into open water
Thank goodness the sea is smooth
Those are the ruins of a Venetian castle on the island.  Underneath are far more ancient ruins. No-one is allowed to land because the older ruins have yet to be excavated


Called a submarine this strange little open vessel, the Nemo, is actually a glass bottom boat
It carries about 10 people on a trip around the coast staring at the sea bottom 


First stop Plaka beach
Cheek to jowl today


Jan and I
First thing we do, after the air kisses, is a goodies swap.  Jan had books for me and some bedding for Danae.  In return she got more books from me, some cheese pies and a jar of chutney and jam.  
We both go home happy


Jan and K
Last year. I didn't take many photos there this year


There it is, the picturesque blue and white taverna beside the sea
It's a very basic  seaside taverna. Small wooden tables, hard rush bottom chairs and a paper tablecloth. You'll find cold beer and wine, bread, Greek salad, fried potatoes, cheese and if you ask they'll fry you some kalamari (squid) and small fish.  Which is what we ordered. 

Kyriakos got us safely back to Poros 
Till next year




17 comments:

  1. Lovely afternoon Linda....😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness we managed before this next heatwave!

      Delete
  2. That all looks and sounds idyllic especially as it is quite nippy here this morning. Love the colours of the Mediterranean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to join you at that delightful Greek restaurant and on the boat ride there. Your visit with a friend looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a quiet little place, usually locals who live nearby come here. So wonderful beside the sea

      Delete
  4. Green with envy
    Frosts followed by gales here. No nice tavernas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, but you live in the midst of such awesome natural beauty

      Delete
  5. To me, that looks like the ideal day out. Reminds me that I haven't been out on the water for too long. The blue and white taverna beside the sea sure does look inviting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually enjoy little boats but this once a year trip with my s in law is always enjoyed

      Delete
  6. That sounds perfect in every way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wine by the jug, filled with ice. Or ouzo and simple snacks. Enjoyable company, sea breezes. Happiness!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful way to spend a day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds most pleasant. I like the idea of Nemo and would love to travel in a glass-bottomed boat, in clear water, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe the colour of the water there, so blue and green, looks lovely, hope you had a good catch up with everyone, have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful adventure.
    I definitely would love to just live on an island, eating drinking and enjoying great company.
    I can only dream

    ReplyDelete